Separate Shares - Separate PWs - Unwanted Common Access???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhumm2

Explorer
Perhaps I don't understand how passwords (PWs) are supposed to work in FNAS. I created 4 Win CIF shares. I have 3 people and each has their own share. Each share is PW protected, but once a user has access to their own share, they also have access to the other users' shares/folders except the one owned by admin. What I want is quite different.

I want each person to have access only to their share/folder. How do I make this so?

Also, one of my users in my Mother-In_law who moved in with us 2 years ago. She has a difficult time remembering her PWs. Is there any way for admin/root (me) to find/see her FNAS PWs on the server?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Sakuru

Guru
Each share probably needs to have a different group as that each user is assigned to. Then chown user:group FolderOfShare
The only other thing I can think of is change the permission of the share so that only a member of the group can read write or edit the share so chmod 770 FolderOfShare

If you want to add a user to two groups they would be able to access two different shares. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, not to mention that this may require the folders to be Unix rather than Windows share types which runs afoul some other stuff but I have not seen any detrimental problems with my setup.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is no way to decrypt her password from the config file. I would recommend resetting her password if it is a problem. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.