Separate physical network interface for Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oko

Contributor
Unfortunately I am not working as much as I wish with FreeNAS/BSD these days so I have rather silly question. I am using Monit (monitoring tool for up and down view) on two of file servers running FreeNAS 9.2.1.5. Naturally Monit is installed in jail but shares the same physical interface ix0 (yes I have 10 gigabit NIC :)) with main OS. Today when I played with another metric monitoring tool Observium (uses SNMP for poling) I noticed that SNMP daemon is confused and unable to properly report network traffic as it sees two IP addresses attached to the same physical interface. However conveniently I have 3 other network interfaces. I was wondering if I kind soul could point me to the Jail documentation which explains how to use separate network interface ix1 for example for Jail in which I run Monit.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't get that kind of control in FreeNAS from the WebGUI. If you know your way around the CLI you can play with the routing tables though. There are limits there too though. ;)

D

dlavigne

To add to this, this is a new feature in the upcoming 9.3:
  • The “NIC” drop-down menu has been added to Jails ‣ Add Jails so that the interface to use for jail connections can be specified.

Lars Jensen

Explorer
Need to put a jail on a vlan, is this possible to use a vlan interface also with current 9.3 release ?

Lars Jensen

Explorer
Need to put a jail on a vlan, is this possible to use a vlan interface also with current 9.3 release ?

I can confirm that it's possible to use a vlan as NIC for a jail! (just upgraded from 9.2.1.9 to 9.3), using a debian template.

Status
Not open for further replies.