Scrubbing impractical for large volume?

I'm running TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 as a backup-server using rsync to run daily backups from many different, primarily linux-systems.
It has a large pool for this data, about 70 TB.
The system has only run for a few months and works absolutely great.
My question is simple:
Until now I've only done some S.M.A.R.T tests now and then on the 8 disks, that hold the backup-data. They are Western Digital Red Pro, WDC WD141KFGX-68FH9N0 disks using CMR technology, not SMR. They pass long S.M.A.R.T tests just fine until now.
I'm reluctant to do a scrub on the data-pool, although I know I should.
But won't it take forever to finish?
From what I can read in this forum this will take many days, and then I will have to reschedule my backup-scripts and all sorts of things, won't I?
What is your advice on this?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
You should ABSOLUTELY do regular scrubs (at least monthly). Scrubs happen in the background, there is no need to reschedule backups. You may face a performance impact while the scrub is running, but that's about it. On my system a scrub takes less than 7 hours.

Without regular scrubs you would seriously compromise the point of having ZFS in the first place.

Arwen

MVP
Agree with @ChrisRJ, performing ZFS scrubs is highly suggested, and at least once a month.

One of the key features of ZFS, is bit rot detection AND correction. A scrub on a redundant pool will do both. When ZFS can no longer correct a block on a disk, it's likely the disk is out of spare blocks. At that point it needs to be replaced.

Seeing even a few correctable errors over time, (perhaps a few a year), may be normal. Just a day in the life of ZFS doing it's job.

On rare occasions, a non-redundant pool make sense. My miniature media server does not have redundancy for the Media pool. (It does have a Mirrored pool for the OS.) Since I have backups, I can recover any lost media, IF I KNOW ABOUT IT. Thus, the Media pool gets twice a month scrubs, same as the OS pool.

To be clear, I have personally lost data to bit rot before ZFS. Without having some kind of check, it was impossible to tell if a file was being corrupted. (Meaning if the file modification time did not change, but a block in the file went bad, how would you know?) ZFS has built in checks that solve that problem.