Script to Power-On Server via IPMI & Enable and Disable Replication Tasks

TXAG26

Patron
I have a server that I use as a FreeNAS backup point. It receives snapshots via replication, from my main FreeNAS server.

Performing a backup requires me to use IPMI to power on the FreeNAS backup server and then I have to log into the main FreeNAS server and "enable" the necessary replication tasks. Once the replication tasks complete, I have to log back into everything, disable replication and shut down the backup FreeNAS server.
Both servers have Supermicro IPMI.

I was wondering if anyone had a script that can be run on Windows 10 that I may be able to customize to automate more of this?

guermantes

Patron
I'm tinkering with this alternative, but have not finalised yet: a script that is run by cron on the main freenas that checks for existence of the backup freenas ("are you powered on, buddy?") and if yes then it performs necessary replications and ends it all with an email to say it is done. This way you power up the backup freenas at will using the Supermicro IPMI app for smartphone (supersimple!). The script then will find its buddy and do the replications, and when I get the email I power down from smartphone.

This appears easier to me than to make a windows script talk to the main freenas and initiate replications, but that might be because I'm bad at scripting. :smile:

TXAG26

Patron
I think that’s a great idea too. I wish there was a way to leave replication enabled on FreeNAS, but tweak how often it looks for its partner without all the failure fanfare and constant notices.