Screwed up my FreeNAS server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaz1946

Cadet
I had a stable 9.10.2-U6 system and decided to upgrade to 11 (11.1-U4). After the update, the Windows 10 File explorer was no longer able display (see) my FreeNAS 11 server. I was able to log into the server via the IE browser, however still unable 'see' the server on the LAN and unable to access the Windows shares on the FreeNAS server. I decided to back down to 9.10 stable using a CD that I created last year. After doing the 'downgrade' to 9.10, I brought up the FreeNAS server and logged in, but when I clicked on the 'Storage' tab, I received the following message 'unable to load /API/V1.0/Storage/Disk/ status:500'. I have no idea what to do - I have a 'ton' of data on the server.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Try rolling back to your old 9.10 boot environment in the boot menu in the GUI. That's what boot environments are for, there's no need to reinstall.

kaz1946

Cadet
Thanks for the info. I read the section in the guide after your reply and am now aware of this feature. However, being in a frantic state, before noticing your reply I did a re-install of FreeNAS 11 because of the error condition that I was having and I had to find some way of getting to my data. The re-install of FreeNAS 11 worked and I was able to get to my data, however the Windows 10 File explorer still would not 'show' that the FreeNAS server was 'on the network'. Apparently my Windows system is not performing 'network discovery' automatically because I discovered that my PC is not 'seeing' my other PCs that are on the LAN, also. Right now, I need to type the server name (preceded by \\) in the File explorer address bar to make the system aware of the server and its shares allowing me to access my data. One thing that I also noticed is that 'resolving' the list of shares is somewhat slower than with FreeNAS 9.10. I will need to do some more digging around the network discovery issue because I was unaware of this problem on my Windows 10 system, until now. At least now I do have a way to get to my data on the server.

Are you aware of any issues having to do with Windows SMB shares?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Are you aware of any issues having to do with Windows SMB shares ?
Windows network discovery is a crapshoot at best. You're best off mapping any network drives you need to access on a regular basis.

kaz1946

Cadet
Thanks again for your help. BTW, I was reading about some potential fixes to Microsoft's botch of their Network discovery function in Tensforum forum and it became very confusing to me, Apparently, the discovery function was broken by Microsoft's 'Creator' release. So, I will map my FreeNAS shares.

Status
Not open for further replies.