scheduling rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emegra

Dabbler
I posted this problem some time ago and never got a reply looking back at it I'm not sure if I explained my problem well so i hope I'm not breaking any rules posting again, I'm trying to schedule a backup using rsync to occur every saturday at 2am can anyone tell me what boxes i tick in the schedule boxes for this to occur because no matter how often I study the scheduler I just can't understand it?

Many Thanks

Graeme

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Screenshot from 2012-05-16 15:02:52.jpg Screenshot from 2012-05-16 15:02:37.jpg

Hope that helps answer your question, sorry the screenshots are so tiny...

Emegra

Dabbler
Thank you joshua I appreciate your help

I set the task up as you suggested except I changed Sunday for Saturday as I want it to back up 2.00am to occur Saturday morning

I'm sure your settings will work exactly as I want it to but I'm still left a little confused I understand the minute and hour settings and also ticking all months and selecting the day of the week (in my case Saturday) but what i can't get my head around is "day of the month" (every n day = 1) what exactly is that instructing the server to do because in the summary (under view rsync tasks) it appears to create a contradiction

Minute = 00
Hour = 02
Day of the month = Everyday (every n day=1)
Month = Every month
Day of the Week = Saturday

The contradiction as I see it is how can "day of the month" be Everyday when it's selected to only happen on a Saturday (there are another 6 days of the week that make up every day of the month)

I hope I've explained this properly and apologize if it's a stupid question

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
it's just the way cron works, those are all the parameter it can take. I don't 100% get how it works but I think as long as all parameter are true it executes. so if you want days of the week use every 1 day. But, for example, if you want every 3 days you would check every day of the week.

Cron documentation is probably where you want to turn for a complete understanding, but if you just listen to what I said it should work, =]

Emegra

Dabbler
Thank you Joshua for taking the time to help me I've set it up just as you suggested and I'm sure it will work even though i don't really understand it but the important thing is that it works.

Many Thanks

Graeme

Status
Not open for further replies.