[SCALE] Just a Mirror adding a disk Question

peterge

Explorer
1639644313814.png

Hi, this is just a quick thought I want to have confirmed before doing it.
I am running 2x 14 TB disks in a mirror setup. One disk failed last month. I ordered a new one, and now I get a replacement next week.
I am thinking to upgrade my pool. Because I don't need the storage which a RAIDZ-1 would offer me (I have currently 50% used), I think about adding the disk to the mirror.

- Is it correct that clicking on Mirror ... and Extend and add the new disk (which is not connected yet) allows me to do what I want?
- If it's correct, I then have a setup, similar to RAID1 with three disks? So I can tolerate 2 drive fails, and gain no extra write/read bonuses?
I know a RAIDZ1 would be better suited, but I fear loosing a drive while resilvering is running....

Long story short: do I understand this topic correctly?

LarsR

Guru
you cant just add a new disk to a mirror and it magically becomes a raidz1. You would stripe your mirror with the new disk giving you a stripe of the mirror + the new disk. Buf if either the mirror or the single disk fails you pool will be lost.

If you want to change from mirror to raidz1 you have to backup your data, destroy the mirror pool and create a raidz1 from scratch.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Long story short: do I understand this topic correctly?
Sort of...

If you add a third disk using the method you mentioned, you will have a pool that is a 3-way mirror, which does indeed allow for 2 disks of failure before any data loss would occur.

You will not have a RAIDZ1 without a complete rebuild of your pool (and I think you said you don't want that, so good).

I think it's fine, but the important part is to correctly extend (which at the command line is actually attach) the existing mirror and not add an additional single-disk VDEV in the process, which would be very bad.

You used the right terms in your original post to suggest you're on the right track.

peterge

Explorer
Great, I think LarsR misunderstood me. Indeed, I want a 3-way mirror, which allows 2 disks failure before data loss.
I do not want a RAIDZ1.
I think it's fine, but the important part is to correctly extend (which at the command line is actually attach) the existing mirror and not add an additional single-disk VDEV in the process, which would be very bad.
How do I do that? Does this mean Extend on the Web is wrong? Can you guide me through the process? The disk should arrive tomorrow.
Thank you very much!

sretalla