Saving CCTV footage remotely to SMB folder

hexel

Cadet
Hi all,

I have a brand new surveillance camera (Milesight Lite Dome) for my cottage house. And besides SD Card saves locally, I want it to send video recordings remotely from other city to my home TrueNAS Scale.

I have checked their online guide for SMB settings (Ubuntu) https://support.milesight.com/suppo...02-how-to-use-nas-on-milesight-network-camera, but so far I cannot get my TrueNAS into "Online" status for camera.

Can anyone tell, do I need to change some spesific settings in Truenas GUI to get this work? My shared cctv folder works already well in Windows and I can read/write into it. Camera also is not connecting to my NAS even locally at home (with 192.168.x.xxx address). where I'm setting this up before bringing to cottage. There I will give it to my public domain address where to send recordings.

Thanks in advance!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
The camera is probably some old linux derivative and using ancient samba stack, so will only authenticate with NTLMv1 and SMB1... you need to set that on the SMB service (and prepare yourself for the security consequences of that).

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
The camera is probably some old linux derivative and using ancient samba stack, so will only authenticate with NTLMv1 and SMB1... you need to set that on the SMB service (and prepare yourself for the security consequences of that).
Old versions of mount.cifs on Linux (I think this changed somewhere in kernel 3.x land) defaulted to NTLMv1 and SMB1 IIRC.

There used to be a lot of how-tos that advised setting NTLMv1 and so back in the FreeNAS version 9 days we periodically had people that had SMB auth problems as they upgraded to the version where that parameter changed to off-by-default.

hexel

Cadet
Oh okay, great. I just checked and yes, NTLMv1 and SMB1 is turned off by default. Will turn it on (and prepare myself for the security consequences) and see will the connection work in LAN.
If yes, I assume I need to port forward some SMB ports in order to make this work remotely?
But the question is, what ports? Google gives some multiple answers.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If yes, I assume I need to port forward some SMB ports in order to make this work remotely?
Never do that... SMB1 is full of vulnerabilities and exploits are circulating unencumbered on the Internet.

What you should do is connect your premises with some kind of VPN (I would suggest tailscale as an easy option)... you'll need to have something more than the camera at the far end to "run" that though, even if just a raspberry Pi.

There are some good suggestions and helper videos for that here: https://blog.briancmoses.com/2021/03/tailscale-a-vpn-that-even-brian-can-use.html

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
SMB is full of vulnerabilities and exploits are circulating unencumbered on the Internet.
SMB protocol in general isn't full of vulnerabilities. MS for instance uses SMB for Azure Files IIRC (it's actually pretty cool, they wrote a whole new SMB server - non-Windows for the product).

SMB1 servers shouldn't be exposed on the internet, and NTLM auth probably shouldn't be used via internet. NTLMv1 auth should absolutely never be passing on any vulnerable network. In this day and age it's basically the same as plain-text authentication.

So in this case, you probably need to set up a VPN.

sretalla