Save energy by making use of all C-States

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Fascinating, so we're all affected by this? Or just a couple people?
I'M AFFECTED SIR! GENERAL SIR!
i've been waiting weeks to do that :D

freenas-supero

Contributor
My guess is that everybody in the 9.10 branch is affected but I may be wrong. Devs said an update would be pushed within the next few weeks.

I strongly encourage people to manually retrieve their HDD temps with Smart using CLI while a solution to make email notification is being rolled out.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I strongly encourage people to manually retrieve their HDD temps with Smart using CLI while a solution to make email notification is being rolled out.
You can install a script that does that and the report is emailed to you on whatever schedule you wish. Mine comes every morning
at 5am and I read the report with my coffee!

Handle

Dabbler
FreeNAS (by which, you mean, FreeBSD) is not an energy hog. But it does require the user to configure things correctly.
When the two 4TB HDDs I added are in spindown the system uses around 40W when idle vs ~55W when idle running FreeNAS with activated C-States and smartd. That's quite a huge difference. What else could one do to bring down the power usage of FreeNAS?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

Borja Marcos

Contributor
I suggested the usage of C-states to reduce consumption a bit back in 2015 (according to an Ubiquiti mPower average consumption for a Microserver Gen8 went roughly from 47 W to 45 W, but Cyberjock warned that using C-states can sometimes lead to problems.

Not all hardware supports them properly. (Peecees, shocking!)

This is the original thread.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...n-the-daemon-and-the-shark.26519/#post-168389

freenas-supero

Contributor
Just A FU for this topic since I couldn't get significant results on the previous platform (2x L5420). With a more modern Xeon E3-1220 , I see a decrease of about 18-22w out of a 100w base load, so I'd say C-States in FreeNAS definitely work!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Allan Jude

Dabbler
Hate to necro this thread, but there is a better way to control this. Instead of setting the tunable for every CPU, just change the default:

sysctl hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest=C8

Will save you a lot of clicking in the GUI when you have 48 or 64 CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.