SATADOM and HDD temperature alert threshhold

Juliean

Dabbler
I just finished building my first FreeNAS box, and am working on configuring it. The system uses a pair of SATADOMs for the OS, and 8 10TB WD HDDs (shucked from Elements units).

One of the things I set up, as is recommended, was SMART alerting. However, I ran into an issue: from other posts I saw, it seems that the recommended temperature threshold for alerting is 40*. My problem is that while the HDDs seems to be hanging out around 33-37* (while idling - I've not set up a pool yet), the two SATADOMs are right at 39-40*, constantly triggering alerts.

So I guess this is a two part question: first, is it safe for the SATADOMs to be at those temperatures? And second, if it is, can I safely raise the alert threshold? I don't see any way to set separate alert levels for different drives, so if I raise the threshold, am I endangering the HDDs?

The box is in a Supermicro 2U chassis, the fans aren't running particularily hard, and the rest of the system seems cool enough - CPU is idling at around 30C. The server does live in an un-airconditioned basement, so ambient temp is around 75-85F (24-30C).

Advice?

Alecmascot

Guru