SATA Disk Temperatures Missing After Upgrade

Eli Johnson

Dabbler
Just installed the latest version of Scale and having the same issue. No drive temperatures present at all. Only I/O present even when Temp. option is selected.

Protopia

Dabbler
Just installed the latest version of Scale and having the same issue. No drive temperatures present at all. Only I/O present even when Temp. option is selected.
In System Settings / Services / SMART / Edit what are your "Check Interval" and "Power Mode" settings?

Eli Johnson

Dabbler
In System Settings / Services / SMART / Edit what are your "Check Interval" and "Power Mode" settings?
Check Interval = 30
Power Mode = Never

Default settings I would assume? System has been up for just over 48 hours now.

Thanks

Protopia

Dabbler
It should work with those settings in 10.22.3. Raise a separate issue on the ixSystems tiickets page.

anyuser

Dabbler
I am also missing temperatures from my SATA SSDs but the SATA HDDs are just fine. SSDs were fine under Bluefin.

Last edited:

PhilD13

Patron
I have TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2 installed and the disk temps are showing in the reports for all the disks but they have to be enabled. Under Reports > Disks >Metrics (dropdown box), Did you check the Disk Temperature? It is not checked by default. Disk I/O only is the default report view.

PhilD13

Patron
Both I/O and Temps are checked in mine. Only I/O shows up.
If both I/O and Temps are checked the temps charts are after all the disk I/O. I have 36 drives and didn't know that at first and thought temps were missing.

Eli Johnson

Dabbler
I have 12 drives. I have 12 listings for I/O and nothing after that for temperatures. Both are checked in the dropdown. When I uncheck I/O, the screen goes blank.

PhilD13

Patron
I have 12 drives. I have 12 listings for I/O and nothing after that for temperatures. Both are checked in the dropdown. When I uncheck I/O, the screen goes blank.

Do you get a temperature value when using the command line?
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep "Temperature"
On all drives? The issue should be fixed in the latest version TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2 (Cobia). I think the fix is outlined here https://github.com/truenas/middleware/pull/12826 where some drives did not return a temperature and it was not handled properly. The OP was in an earlier version.

anyuser

Dabbler

On all drives? The issue should be fixed in the latest version TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2 (Cobia). I think the fix is outlined here https://github.com/truenas/middleware/pull/12826 where some drives did not return a temperature and it was not handled properly. The OP was in an earlier version.
That's interesting. My HDDs which report correctly are sda and sdc. The SSD that doesnt report correctly is sdb. Results below:
root@truenas[~]# sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda | grep "Temperature"
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 121 088 000 Old_age Always - 31

root@truenas[~]# sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdb | grep "Temperature"
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0032 075 034 000 Old_age Always - 25

root@truenas[~]# sudo smartctl -a /dev/sdc | grep "Temperature"
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 121 089 000 Old_age Always - 31

looks like the SSD is reporting on 190 rather than 194 and that is not being picked up in the GUI.

Protopia

Dabbler
One of the fixes in 23.10.2 or 23.10.3 was to use the 190 report if the 194 report was missing.

Protopia

Dabbler
Sorry - my mistake - I meant to say 23.10.1 and 21.10.2.

Eli Johnson

Dabbler

Yes, command line is how I have been monitoring the drive temps periodically since this is a new chassis to me. That works as intended.

eminemfan

Cadet
One of the fixes in 23.10.2 or 23.10.3 was to use the 190 report if the 194 report was missing.
Can confirm this is probably the problem, all the missing temps use 194 attribute, and that it's fixed in the alpha. In the mean time the scrutiny app from TrueCharts works great as a monitoring tool.

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Same problem here. Fresh 23.10.2-install, no temperatures displayed in GUI although smartctl shows temperature value as 190 and 194. Is this still an open bug?