SAS expander chassis recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

petr

Contributor
I am trying to simplify my FreeNAS machine builds by separating the storage array from the rest of the system (allowing easier hardware troubleshooting by re-plugging the array to another server etc.). I am also after boxes with internal SAS expander, allowing me to theoretically plug in multiple storage arrays to a single box more easily.

After some research, I have found the following two contenders:

• HP D2600
  • Dell MD1000

However, I am still not clear re. following questions:
  • Would they even work with FreeNAS? (using cross-flashed M1015)
  • Does the maximum per-drive capacity matter when using them as simple SAS expanders? Is my understanding correct the SAS expander is essentially like a network switch for SAS and does not do any processing to the packets?
Thank you for any tips in advance!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Would they even work with FreeNAS? (using cross-flashed M1015)
I think they would work fine; but don't have one to verify. FreeNas doesn't care; just as long as it can get direct access to the drives.

Does the maximum per-drive capacity matter when using them as simple SAS expanders?
What maximum are you thinking about? As far as a number of drives you can connect to the HBA that is supposedly a large number; can't recall the actual amount right now though.

I don't think you should be limited to just those two models as well. There are plenty of other users here that have a lot of drives attached to JBODs..

petr

Contributor
I think they would work fine; but don't have one to verify. FreeNas doesn't care; just as long as it can get direct access to the drives.

What maximum are you thinking about? As far as a number of drives you can connect to the HBA that is supposedly a large number; can't recall the actual amount right now though.

I don't think you should be limited to just those two models as well. There are plenty of other users here that have a lot of drives attached to JBODs..

I mean the maximum capacity listed on the product sheet -

Maximum Capacity (per enclosure)
30TB using fifteen 2TB1 5,400 RPM SATA II disk drives in one enclosure
(http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/powervault-md1000/pd)

Does it mean that it will not support larger drives or is this just the largest option at the time they were selling the units?

Also, when you mentioned that you would not restrict yourself to those two models - any other recommendations?

Mirfster

Does it mean that it will not support larger drives or is this just the largest option at the time they were selling the units?
TBH, I am not 100% sure. It may be a limitation but not sure what would cause it... Maybe the HBA/Raid Card they are using, backplane or BIOS. If it were the HBA/Raid then simply using a different card should get around that (H200, M1015, 9211...).

Also, when you mentioned that you would not restrict yourself to those two models - any other recommendations?
Any system that you wanted could be a JBOD since all you are really doing is using the case and psu (basically speaking). SuperMicro even makes a chassis that holds 45 drives (http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4u/847/sc847e26-rjbod1.cfm). I haven't used it personally but included it as an example.

Checkout @pclausen 's info, he runs a 50 disk 120TB pool, but looks like he has plenty of room (3 systems each having 24 bays = 72 drives).

petr

Contributor
TBH, I am not 100% sure. It may be a limitation but not sure what would cause it... Maybe the HBA/Raid Card they are using, backplane or BIOS. If it were the HBA/Raid then simply using a different card should get around that (H200, M1015, 9211...).

Any system that you wanted could be a JBOD since all you are really doing is using the case and psu (basically speaking). SuperMicro even makes a chassis that holds 45 drives (http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4u/847/sc847e26-rjbod1.cfm). I haven't used it personally but included it as an example.

Checkout @pclausen 's info, he runs a 50 disk 120TB pool, but looks like he has plenty of room (3 systems each having 24 bays = 72 drives).

Will check it out - however, the main appeal there is for me with the Dell/HP cases is that they contain SAS expander. I am not after simple JBOD case, I want one I can connect via a single cable to my cross-flashed M1015.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Yep, my supermicro includes the expanders. I've got a single SAS cable going from my LSI 9200-8e external port to the 45 drive JBOD expansion enclosure.

Mirfster

Will check it out - however, the main appeal there is for me with the Dell/HP cases is that they contain SAS expander. I am not after simple JBOD case, I want one I can connect via a single cable to my cross-flashed M1015.
I guess this is the part that has me a little confused and why I mentioned JBOD. You are wanting to use the M1015 which is an HBA; but then also mention wanting to use a system that has a SAS Expander.

The M1015 uses SFF-8087 connectors; where as a SAS Expander uses a SFF-8088. In the case of the Dell MD1000, you would need a SFF-8470 to connect. Since the M1015 has only internal connectors, perhaps you should use something like a 9200-8e with a SFF-8088 to SFF-8470 cable?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
To the OP: please understand that there are multiple configurations of JBOD enclosures. Even in a server, for instance, you can have the following variants:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/Product_Naming_Convention/Naming_SYS_35.cfm
upload_2016-2-21_12-59-5.png

Look for something with the E1 variant. The A variant requires each drive to be cabled individually.

And as for connector type, electrically, internal and external are teh same, and you can buy cables that do what you need. But it's easier to either get an HBA with an external port, or get an adapter (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DGFIMQK/?tag=ozlp-20) that converts from internal to external.

Status
Not open for further replies.