Samba errors after recreating zpool

Monkadelic_D

Cadet
I am working on downsizing from a half rack of 6 servers (heat generator) to a single tower PC while I try to sell the hardware and build a single box for VMs and storage.
My first step was to reduce my 12 drive, 2 zpool (2x mirrored vdevs of 4 disks in pool 1, 4x mirrored vdevs of 8 disks in pool 2). I was only using around 750GiB of space in pool 1 and 2.7TiB of space in pool 2. The temporary mid-tower PC I'm going to move the pools to only has mounting for 4 drives so I used zpool remove pool_1 mirror-1 and so on and so forth to reduce each pool down to a single mirrored pair of disks.
This put my usage on pool 2 up at 85% or so. I decided I could loosely connect 2 more drives in the mid-tower so I could have some space to grow while I work on building the new system.
I tried to add drives back to the pool using the shell and, in my over zealous newbiness, added disks incorrectly. I wiped the disks and, mistakenly, just added two single disk vdevs instead of a mirror vdev. They weren't partitioned like the disks in pools that I setup using the FreeNAS UI. I know I can't remove top level vdevs unless they are mirror vdevs so I added a second disk to each of the mirrors so I could then remove them. When I tried to remove the mirror vdevs I got an error stating that the vdev could not be removed because the sector size wasn't the same, or raidz was used, or something else. Yes, I know I should have just used the expand pool feature but I kept getting an error about indirect disks or something. I was trying to add back some of the same disks I had removed.

So I decided to backup all the data on pool 2 and just recreate it with all the same exact settings. I was hoping that if I didn't delete the samba share settings the shares would just work when I recreated the pool. This is where I'm at now. The SMB clients cannot connect to the shares anymore. In Linux I get the following error in dmesg:
CIFS VFS: BAD_NETWORK_NAME: \\ip.of.my.freenas\Share_Name
CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -2

If I tried to list SMB shares available to my user I would see the shares associated with pool 1, but none of the shares for pool 2.

I have verified that all settings are exactly the same in the datasets that are shared. I was going to recreate the SMB shares but I can't delete them. I get an error dialog that reads:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/smb.py", line 1001, in _delete
await self._sharesec(action='--delete', share=share)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/smb.py", line 988, in _sharesec
raise CallError(f'sharesec {action} failed with error: {sharesec.stderr.decode()}')
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] sharesec --delete failed with error: Invalid sharename: Share_Name

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 130, in call_method
io_thread=False)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1077, in _call
return await methodobj(*args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 410, in delete
f'{self._config.namespace}.delete', self, self.do_delete, [id] + list(args)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1077, in _call
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 960, in nf
return await f(*args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/smb.py", line 771, in do_delete
await self.middleware.call('smb.sharesec._delete', share['name'] if not share['home'] else 'homes')
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1127, in call
app=app, pipes=pipes, job_on_progress_cb=job_on_progress_cb, io_thread=True,
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/smb.py", line 1004, in _delete
raise CallError(e)
middlewared.service_exception.CallError: [EFAULT] [EFAULT] sharesec --delete failed with error: Invalid sharename: Share_Name

I didn't realize until later that the share actually did delete, it was still listed until I refreshed the page. Once I recreated the SMB share I could connect from clients.

I started writing this post before I realized the SMB shares did actually delete. I wanted to post all this either way as a tip/tale for others to learn from.
What happened is outlined above. What I expected to happen is:
  1. backup data
  2. export/disconnect pool
  3. create new pool
  4. create datasets that match old pool's datasets, which matched the already configured SMB shares
  5. restore data
  6. remount SMB shares on clients
  7. profit