Samba 4 / SMB 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

krakah

Dabbler
Is there any timeline on getting Samba 4 into FreeNAS in order to accomodate SMB 3.0?

With Hyper-V in Server 2012 now able to store and run VM's from a NAS this would be a very important feature to have.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
It looks like there is a ticket for this on FreeNAS support. The milestone the filer included (8.3.1) was rejected, so it's the the soonest coming after 8.3.1, but there's no word on when, exactly. Feel free to respond (once) with your "me too". http://support.freenas.org/ticket/1982

MAHDTech

Cadet
Was just was messing around with the 9.1.0 ALPHA

Looks like SAMBA 4 is included, and the GUI now has AD menu for creation

Untitled.png

not sure if FreNAS is using SAMBA 4 for the file shares, or if SMB 3.0 is included, I will do some testing from Hyper-V later

I also hope they can integrate the Internal SAMBA DNS and allow hostname creation / deletion to make it feature complete for AD use.

This will make FreeNAS even more important for SMB's as it can be used for AD Authentication / File

good work!

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi MAHDTech,

I just checked my 9.1 install (from early May) and it says it's running Samba 3.6.13.

The pic you posted isn't for the creation of an AD domain, that's where you setup FreeNAS to join a domain so it can use AD for authentication & permissions.

-Will

MAHDTech

Cadet
Hi MAHDTech,

I just checked my 9.1 install (from early May) and it says it's running Samba 3.6.13.

The pic you posted isn't for the creation of an AD domain, that's where you setup FreeNAS to join a domain so it can use AD for authentication & permissions.

-Will

Dam, got excited for no reason :(

abuck

Cadet
Would be nice to have some feedback on that one, I'm also looking foward for that feature, especially since windows 8 / 2012 support SMB 3.0 (Samba 4.0)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Would be nice to have some feedback on that one, I'm also looking foward for that feature, especially since windows 8 / 2012 support SMB 4.0

There is no SMB 4.0. You mean SMB 3.0(Samba 4.0)

abuck

Cadet
you are correct, brain fart here :) I'll edit my post !

Thanks for the correction !

mka

Contributor
Regarding SMB3 / Samba 4.1: I read Samba 4.1 implements SMB3 Multichannel but am unsure of how similar it is to the windows implementation and found very little about it.

If I access two Windows 2012 server over CIFS and both have two NIC attached to the same GbE switch I almost automatically get a single stream throughput of roughly 2Gbps.

Would this also work if I access FreeNAS with a Windows 2012 server? After reading about this, I've come to the impression it could work only for multiple connection... so in that scenario getting two 1Gbps connection and not one 2Gbps links? Has anyone tried this with FreeNAS? Thanks!

J

jkh

Regarding SMB3 / Samba 4.1: I read Samba 4.1 implements SMB3 Multichannel but am unsure of how similar it is to the windows implementation and found very little about it.

It does not, unfortunately. From http://blog.fosketts.net/2012/12/12/samba-40-released-active-directory-smb-support/

"The foundation for directory leases is there, but advanced and specialized features like multi-channel, transparent failover, and VSS support might not ever come. Since Samba has long supported their own type of clustered file servers, Windows scale-out file server support does not exist in Samba at this point."

Status
Not open for further replies.