Rsync over shell terminal

mvcad

Contributor
Stupid question.
If I run an Rsync command from the shell window inside Truenas GUI and navigate away from that shell window, like going to "Storage/Pools" Does it cancel the Rsync command? or it keeps running?

I am asking because I wanted to copy 3.6TB of data from one pool to another using Rsync from shell. I went away from the shell window, but when I came back the progress of Rsync was not shown anymore. I check the size of the destination folder and it was not increasing over a few minutes I checked. So as of now I am running again the Rsync command again bur afraid of leaving the window. So I will leave it overnight and check tomorrow. I just want to know whats the behavior of Rsync in this case.

If you don't include the ampersand "&" background option, when you exit the shell, it will cancel the process. It applies to any command, not just rsync

mvcad

Contributor
If you don't include the ampersand "&" background option, when you exit the shell, it will cancel the process. It applies to any command, not just rsync
Thanks! That’s something new I learned today.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Thanks! That’s something new I learned today.

Ideally you probably want to use screen or tmux to create a persistent environment that will allow you to come back and observe the results.

The GUI "shell" option sucks and you should be using SSH or the VGA console for this kind of thing.