Rsync Module using an AD Username

raidoh

Dabbler
I'm trying to use an Active Directory username in an Rsync Module so I can transfer files between two FreeNAS boxes. However, the Rsync Module configuration in 11.2 U8 doesn't allow me to enter the username manually and I can only select from a list of local usernames. Since the fileshare gets permissions from the domain, I think I need to specify an AD user. How can I do that? Manually in the rsyncd.conf?

Edit: AD has been working for a long time with respect to file permissions and shares. Rsync with AD username was even working for a long time until we upgraded recently from 9.10 to 11.2. Rsync Modules are configured under Services -> Rsync / Configure -> Rsync Module.

Edit: Made some progress by editing /usr/local/etc/rsync/rsyncd.conf and manually setting the uid and gid for that Module. Still getting some permission denied errors, but getting closer.

Last edited:

echelon5

Explorer
I'm curious about this too, I'll soon have to setup a similar rsync task. In 11.3-U1's ACL editor there's an option called User with a descriptor "User who controls the dataset" and I believe I'll be able to setup a unix user that executes the rsync job with the Archive option (permissions).

echelon5

Explorer
That didn't work. The rsync user can't access the dataset even though it has unix permissions on it.

echelon5

Explorer
Check the ZFS aclmode property on the dataset. If it's "restricted" then rsync won't be able to set permissions and fail.

ACL mode is passthrough. I can't access them from terminal when I su the rsync user.

Chmod 700 on the dataset seems to fix this. Don't know if it breaks something

Last edited: