Root user still has permission to modify/delete on NFS mount.

rcastillo

Cadet
Root user still has permission to modify/delete on TrueNAS NFS mount on any server. I've added ACLs for User Owner [Write] and Group [Read Only].
I don't want any "root" user on any server to have the power to over write the "owner."
How do I take out root* in general from this situation?
RC

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
This is the reason why "maproot" parameters exist for shares. If you configure it, UID 0 (root) will be mapped to the specified non-privileged user. If you're talking about locally, root is always superuser. Can't be changed. This is how Unix works.

Whattteva

Wizard
This is the reason why "maproot" parameters exist for shares. If you configure it, UID 0 (root) will be mapped to the specified non-privileged user.
Is this necessary? This is not how it works in my experience. I thought when this parameter is left blank, by default, root access is either disabled or defaults to read-only (I don't remember exactly which one). In order for my NFS Mounts to work correctly under root, I have to explicitly map them to root and wheel. It won't work out of the box. Of course, I can only confirm this for CORE as I don't run SCALE, but I'd imagine it'd work the same under Linux as I think that attribute is just how NFS exports work by default.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Is this necessary? This is not how it works in my experience. I thought when this parameter is left blank, by default, root access is either disabled or defaults to read-only (I don't remember exactly which one). In order for my NFS Mounts to work correctly under root, I have to explicitly map them to root and wheel. It won't work out of the box. Of course, I can only confirm this for CORE as I don't run SCALE, but I'd imagine it'd work the same under Linux as I think that attribute is just how NFS exports work by default.
I was explaining in terms of webui (but perhaps not so clearly). Generally speaking root is squashed to nobody.