Retasking Freenas Data Disk for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

nccsa186

Cadet
I have an old 1tb hdd that used to be part of a freenas array years ago.
I want to use it as the primary disk (boot disk) for a new Win7 box I'm building.

I deleted all the partitions, made one partition primary and active, reimaged it with Win7 OS (successfully) but STILL when I try to boot from this disk BIOS displays an error "This is a FreeNAS data disk and can not boot system"

I'm wondering how in the world this disk can know its life history when I've deleted all the partitions, repartitioned it, and cloned it.
I DID find a small (2 mb) partition lingering on this disk and wiped it with zeroes, but still it's holding on to its previous identity.

Ideas?

Yatti420

Wizard

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You need to wipe the begining and end of the disks. DBAN will definitely do the job as it'll wipe the whole disk.

FYI, the information is in the boot code for the disk. ;)

nccsa186

Cadet
It looks like if I deleted ALL the partitions, then created a partial partition with fat32, for some reason then it went away.
Messed up I know, but DBAN was not making any progress, even using it as a boot disk: it said estimated time at 12h30m for about three hours and I gave up, and took the risk of killing that process.
Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.