Restore from S3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvalenti03

Dabbler
so I have my testing nas box and did a nextcloud install and used s3 to backup all the datasets and the nextcloud jail.

Each dataset had its own bucket. The cloud sync task was successful for all 3 data sets.
Mnt/pool/db
Mnt/poool/files
Mnt/pool/jails/nextcloud

Everything was functional. I had a smooth running nextcloud server using 13.0.1 and freenas 11.1.u4

Now when I tested how I could restore from the backup I deleted my entire zfs volume then started a new one and named everything the same and downloaded all the data from each bucket. When this was completed I made sure I gave db ownership to mysql and added storage to the jail exactly how it was prior.

This is where my problem resides maybe I am doing this wrong and why I am here for help.

The jail turns on and I can ssh to it however I cannot run mysql/Apache/nextcloud all in the jail I am getting permission errors and I went back to the nextcloud install tutorial and used the chown for www:www and this didn’t help.

I’m looking for help in if I am doing a backup/restore to and from s3 wrong and how I could fix this. I will have a 3-2-1 backup plan but if a server should fail I need to be able to rebuild from s3 and want to know what I am doing wrong and I could not find anything on this specifically.

update:
i deleted the entire volume and started from scratch. installed nextcloud and got all checked passed. i took snapshots of the datasets. using 13.0.0 nextcloud and freenas 11.1.u4.

i still have those datasets in my s3 buckets. what would happen if i were to download and overwrite my existing datasets with the ones from s3?

update: didnt work. broke the whole nextcloud. snapshot rollback was successful.

i would truely appreciate if someone could tell me how to restore from s3.

what is astonishing is the amount of info on the web for freenas -> s3 buckets but nothing on s3 buckets -> freenas. what is the point of backing up to an s3 if you cant restore it from there?

ok so this service is only useful if you have shares you want backed up to an s3. files. thats all. nothing more nothing less. smb/nfs/afp/etc however it does not fit the bill for using it as a replication of your zfs system to rebuild if you lose your zfs pool and this is exactly what i am trying to achieve.

if anyone has insite on this please tell me. only thing i have found thats worth it is rsync.net

Last edited:

tvalenti03

Dabbler
to restore from s3 no. only thing i found that could work the way i want is rsync.net and replicate it to their zfs server. i have not found anymore info on how to use s3 in the same fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.