Replication task fails (dataset structure question)

atlantic

Explorer
I'm having a problem with my replication tasks failing when backing up to another local drive and I'm a bit confused about the database structure.

When I first create a pool I have to name it, say 'Tank'. Then in Storage>Pools I can see the pool 'Tank'. If I unfurl it there is already a dataset there, named after the pool, ie Tank. This dataset can be shared, permissions set and snapshots taken, but cannot be deleted. What is its purpose compared to user-created child datasets?

I assumed that it was an uppermost container and that I could set my snapshots on that (with Recursive enabled) and Replicate it to a backup drive for global backups. But if I do this the Replication task fails.

Replication only seems to work if I make snapshots on child databases of this uppermost one.

At the moment I want to keep things as simple as possible, so if I want a single global backup would I have to create a database structure like:

Tank>TankMaster>Subtank1,Subtank2,Subtank3 etc

Then set set the periodic snapshots on TankMaster, not Tank? Which begs the above question, what is the purpose of the uppermost Tank database and why can't I replicate it to another disk?

artlessknave

Wizard
Posting To Get A Response

atlantic

Explorer
Yeah, bit of a mess of a question. thx for the tips. I figured out why my replication failed (user error mistyped receiving a volume name!)