Replication problem after moving server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollo

Wizard
What I think is happening is that the snapshot on the PUSH server are expiring and Freenas removes them.
One way you can fix that is doing replication through ssh.
I was having similar issue when testing Freenas 9.3 Beta and couldn't finalize one of the dataset because the snapshot was not on the PUSH anymore.
If you started from scratch all over, I would take a Recursive Manual snapshot of the volume.
Because you are creating a manual snapshot, I think it doesn't expire it no matter how short your snapshot life pan maybe.
You can save the snapshot list to file so you can edit it and add the zfs send and zfs receive command. You can select which snapshot to send.
To make it snappier, delete the manual snapshot you just made for large dataset. Keep the volume snapshot that do point to any dataset.
That way you can recreate a perfect replica to start with, ie replicates volume autorization and such.
Then create a new recursive manual snapshot of the entire volume and send the remaining dataset using ssh.

It is a bit of complex task but it will work. If you need more details on how to accomplish this I can explain and give you the series of commend that will help you achieve entire replication.
If you have already made manual replication in the past and they have been relicated already, then you can resume replication from there, but you may have to delete the automatic snapshots that are present on the PULL side as the PUSH will only replicate from the last snapshot (only removing automatic snapshot newer that the manual snapshot).

Last edited:

Sir.Robin

Guru
Hm... if you can... set up a local DNS with a record for your dyn dns service pointing to the LOCAL IP.
Then you set up replication and do the initial send.
After that you remove the DNS record and move the server to your secondary location.

Now you can replicate with local network speed and no need to edit the replication tasks on FreeNAS after moving your target server.

Apollo

Wizard
Revisiting this, my replication has been running for about a day.

I wanted to see the progress (percentage of completion of the replication task.
So, on the PUSH system, I went into

STORAGE > ZFS REPLICATION

To my surprise, both "Status" and "Last snapshot sent to remote side" boxes are completely empty.
While normally I would see the progress in the "Status" box.

I know the replication is still going on simply because I monitor the connection in my pfSense firewall and I see it is still sending data steady to the PULL system.

Should I be worried or just leave it be?

Best way to monitor replication is to actually look at the "Partition" tab under "Reporting" on the Pull side via the GUI interface. You will not be able to see anything except the disk space of the volume you are replicating to.
It will show as the usual Green background, but after a few minutes in the replication process, you will start seeing the graph going down (Green indicates free space).
You can also do a zfs list -t snapshot on the PULL to see what is there.

If you run Recursive replication from the entire volume, then the snapshot will occur only when at least one snapshot has been properly replicated.
If the automatic snapshot were set at the creation of the volume, and are still available, then over time the volume will fill. It is much quicker to do replication when the delta block are close apart. However, if the snapshot have expired, the first snapshot may point to a huge amount of data. If the replication is interrupted while the snapshot as not been yet replicated, then it will have to start sending that snapshot all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.