SOLVED Replication issue TrueNAS <--> FreeNAS

Pitfrr

Wizard
Hello,

I try to configure replication between a TrueNAS and a FreeNAS server and it seems to be a bit tricky...
I looked in the documentation (TrueNAS 11.3) but this didn't help further.

On one side: FreeNAS (9.10) as main system, a dataset with snapshots configured.
On the other side: TrueNAS (12.0RC1) as backup system with a replication task configured (or not! :tongue:).

I thought first my problem was with the naming schema and that TrueNAS didn't see the snapshots on FreeNAS, but from what I can guess from the log file, that's not it. It's rather an invalid option that generate the replication error.

Here is the configuration of the replication task:
1602447377122.png

On the source server the snapshots names are:
Code:
Nas/Xchange@auto-20201011.2132-1w  Sun Oct 11 21:32 2020
Nas/Xchange@auto-20201011.2137-1w  Sun Oct 11 21:37 2020
Nas/Xchange@auto-20201011.2142-1w  Sun Oct 11 21:42 2020
Nas/Xchange@manual-20201011.2154   Sun Oct 11 21:54 2020

I tried several combinations for the Naming Schema with following results:
  • auto-%Y%m%d.%H%M
    • No error and finishing with the message:
      INFO [replication_task__task_1] [zettarepl.replication.run] No snapshots to send for replication task 'task_1' on dataset 'Nas/Xchange'
    • So basically, no snapshot corresponding to the naming scheme has been found, if I understand it correctly.
  • auto-%Y%m%d.%H%M-1w
    • Error:
      INFO [replication_task__task_1] [zettarepl.replication.run] For replication task 'task_1': doing pull from 'Nas/Xchange' to 'Nss/Xchange' of snapshot='auto-20201011.2132-1w' incremental_base=None receive_resume_token=None
      ERROR [replication_task__task_1] [zettarepl.replication.run] For task 'task_1' unhandled replication error ExecException(2, "invalid option 'c'\nusage:\n\tsend [-DnPpRvLe] [-[iI] snapshot] <snapshot>\n\tsend [-Le] [-i snapshot|bookmark] <filesystem|volume|snapshot>\n\tsend [-nvPe] -t <receive_resume_token>\n\nFor the property list, run: zfs set|get\n\nFor the delegated permission list, run: zfs allow|unallow\ncannot receive: failed to read from stream\n")
  • manual-%Y%m%d.%H%M
    • Same error as previously but for the snapshot snapshot='manual-20201011.2154'

I try to understand if I'm doing something wrong or missing anything... It's pretty straightforward so I'm not sure...
I don't understand the error in the replication task "invalid option". Is there a way to see the complete command, to see if anything is wrong there?
Because from the logs, it looks like the snapshots have been found but then somekind of invalid option is happening...
It might also be a bug, but I would first assume I'm not doing it right! :smile:

Attached the log file with the complete error message.

Thanks for your feedback.

Attachments

• Replication_error_log.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 283

Pitfrr

Wizard
Well I continued to do some digging in the meantime and it turns out that by deselecting the option "Allow compressed WRITE records" which seems to be the "invalid option 'c' ... solves the issue! :smile:

The tooltip says "Use compressed WRITE records to make the stream more efficient. The destination system must also support compressed WRITE records. ".
Does that mean that the error happens because FreeNAS (9.10) on the other side cannot handle compressed write records?

From the log file though it is not obvious... :-O

sretalla