Replication from 1 dataset to multiple destinations

Michael Hanna

Dabbler
I've doing some googling and searching through the forums and can't really find a solid answer on this. I have several datasets on one pool that I am replicating to other pools on the same server. I now have another offsite server that I would like to replicate to in addition to the existing replication to the local pools I already have setup. What is the best/recommended way to setup this up? When I walked through the replication wizard it setup new snapshot tasks in addition to the ones already present for the original replication tasks. So i now have 2 snapshot tasks for each dataset I am replicating. Is the optimal and the way I should be doing it or is there another way that uses the existing snapshots from the existing replication tasks?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I've doing some googling and searching through the forums and can't really find a solid answer on this. I have several datasets on one pool that I am replicating to other pools on the same server. I now have another offsite server that I would like to replicate to in addition to the existing replication to the local pools I already have setup. What is the best/recommended way to setup this up? When I walked through the replication wizard it setup new snapshot tasks in addition to the ones already present for the original replication tasks. So i now have 2 snapshot tasks for each dataset I am replicating. Is the optimal and the way I should be doing it or is there another way that uses the existing snapshots from the existing replication tasks?
Yes, you certainly can replicate the same dataset snapshot series to multiple destinations. I'm not familiar with the 11.3-U4.1 user interface -- I use the 'legacy' user interface on FreeNAS 11.2-U8 -- but I'm sure your version supports the same features. Here's a screenshot:
replication-example.jpg

Michael Hanna

Dabbler
Yes, you certainly can replicate the same dataset snapshot series to multiple destinations. I'm not familiar with the 11.3-U4.1 user interface -- I use the 'legacy' user interface on FreeNAS 11.2-U8 -- but I'm sure your version supports the same features. Here's a screenshot: View attachment 41709
I was figuring it could be done... I'm just trying to figure out if there is a way to do it without having to create a second snapshot of each dataset. Or maybe thats the way its supposed to be done. Using the new GUI I cant find any way of doing it without it creating a new snapshot task which results in multiple snapshot tasks for each dataset I'm trying to replicate.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can reference an existing snapshot task in a replication task. I do it - no problem at all.

Snapshot Tasks:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-25 um 14.26.04.png

Replication Tasks:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-25 um 14.26.25.png

Replication tasks 2&3 and 4&5 use the same snapshot task, respectively.

Example config:
Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-25 um 14.29.36.png

If the wizard does create a new snapshot task, you can simply change the replication tasks to use the same one each and then delete the unnecessary snapshot tasks.

HTH,
Patrick

Michael Hanna

Dabbler
You can reference an existing snapshot task in a replication task. I do it - no problem at all.

Snapshot Tasks:
View attachment 41718

Replication Tasks:
View attachment 41719

Replication tasks 2&3 and 4&5 use the same snapshot task, respectively.

Example config:
View attachment 41720

If the wizard does create a new snapshot task, you can simply change the replication tasks to use the same one each and then delete the unnecessary snapshot tasks.

HTH,
Patrick
Thanks the screen shots helped. The option to select the snapshot task to use for the replication task is not present in the standard wizard. Had to select advanced before it shows.