Replication Error - Incremental Source No Longer Exists

MindMusic

Cadet
I'm replicating ZFS snapshots from a primary NAS to an identical offsite backup (both running TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1). Recently I had a slowdown with the connection between them, so the replication task had trouble keeping up, and today (after working fine for years) I started receiving this error on one of the ZFS replication tasks:

cannot resume send: incremental source 0xa1dbd3f307cd2fde no longer exists
ssh: connect to host <our server>: Operation timed out.

I seem to be suffering the same problem as these guys, and nobody seemed to have an answer for them.

I think what might have happened is that some of the snapshots are only kept for 2 weeks, and the internet slowdown has resulted in those snapshots getting deleted before they could be transferred. But they're no longer on the source box so I can't imagine why ZFS would be upset that it can't transfer them. Seems silly.

I also already tried deleting and recreating the problematic replication task, to no avail. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :smile:

Frank.

But they're no longer on the source box so I can't imagine why ZFS would be upset that it can't transfer them. Seems silly.
It's not that it wants to send the "old" snapshot, per se. It needs a base snapshot (that is shared between source and destination) to be able to send only the "differences" (i.e, "incremental") between the base snapshot and the latest snapshot on the source.

Otherwise, you must revert to doing a full replication all over again (which is time-consuming and severely inefficient.)