Replication between 9.3 and 9.2.1.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
If I try to replicate a pool from a FreeNAS server running 9.3 and with the new features active, will it be a) readable and b) fully writeable on another FreeNAS server running 9.2.1.9? Or will it behave the same way as if I tried to import the 9.3 pool into the older system? Perhaps the answer is obvious, but I have difficulty in understanding the minutiae of replication.

(PS I may possibly have ZFSonLinux in mind for the receiving machine but by all means ignore this for now.)

rogerh

Guru
Surely someone knows the answer, whether you can replicate to a pool that does not have some of the active features of the sending pool? Perhaps it is obvious, but I can't find the answer!

zambanini

Patron
just test it.
ZOL ist fare behind the zfs modifications from ixsystem, so you can not import a freenas pool there. same will pretty sure apply when you want to open/import the pool in fn 9.2, when it was all the new features activated.

rogerh

Guru
So the replicated dataset carries its zfs features with it just the same as importing the whole physical pool? That is the question I was asking, are you sure it does? I can't test it without setting up another FreeNAS machine, and if I could do that I could use 9.3 and solve the problem. Haven't really got any suitable spare hardware for even a virtual FreeNAS machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.