Replacing Mirrored Drives in Older System

RDM

Explorer
Hello,

I have a question, probably very easy but admittedly i am not as up on Free/TrueNas as I used to be.

I've been using it so long that my Raid 1 were state of the art 1.5 TB drives when i built my current system. So I wanted to grab a pair of 8-TB drives and replace them.

So my OS is on a Flash drive (latest version), and I only use it for storage and to run a Plex Media server. What is my path here?

Do I need to just rebuild it? Or can I replace the drives on the fly, realizing that I would lose all my data (not a big deal as I can replace)

Thanks in advance for any input or recommendations.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
If you add the new disks one at a time to the mirror and remove the old ones once complete, you'll be able to do it while everything is still running and lose nothing.

RDM

Explorer
Wow. Thanks @sretalla. I always assumed that a RAID 1 config only had 2 drives? You are saying I could add drives one by one? And that they will resilver the new one? And then I could just remove the old ones? OK, I'm going to have to look that up because I don't see any RAID now in the UI. Like I said it's been a while. But thanks for that information!

Also I thought disks had to be same size?

Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
RAID 1 config

ZFS does not support RAID 1. It supports mirrors, which allow a variety of options such as going three- or four-way mirroring, so it is easy to attach a third (larger) device to the mirror, wait for it to resilver, then replace one of the other drives, wait for that to resilver, at which point you remove the third old (small) drive and your space suddenly grows to the size of the two new drives that are supporting the workload. Unlike RAID 1, there is no point at which your redundancy has been compromised if you do it this way.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, well the documentation for this is missing completely at this point and I have exactly that same job waiting to be done at some point, so I'll take a couple of screenshots for you...

Storage | Pools | Cogwheel for that pool | Status:

1692029340128.png

Actually if you're paying attention this pool isn't already a mirror, but you can do the same thing with a mirror anyway...

3 Dots on one of the disks, then Extend.

Pick your new (larger) disk.

Let it resilver.

Do that again with the second one, then come back and Detach one, and then the other old one.

RDM

Explorer
Man, thank you @sretalla (and others) for your time and effort!!!

This almost sounds too easy lol. Almost...

sretalla