Replace HDD keeping settings and other stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

baglio

Dabbler
Hello Guys.

I'd like to replace HDD in my NAS with a SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.14 ST2000DM001 3,5" - 2 Tb.
Now I have a very tiny internal 40GB HDD and an external 80GB, so I think is time to change to something powerful...

Anyway, I'm a bit worried about replace it as I've installed minidlna and haven't any problem with it, I would not want to find myself re-configure everything to make minidlna works!!!

Isn't possible to make a copy of the existing internal HDD (in which is installed minidlna) and restore it on my new 2TB HDD?
Not only minidlna config, but also permissions and paths.

I'm running FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-x86 right now, and both HDD are ZFS formatted.

P.S.
The new HDD is SATAIII, but my NAS machine is pretty old, and I'm quite sure it dosen't support such standard.
Can I attach a SATAIII HDD into a mobo which is only SATAI or II ready? (Of course, I'm aware of the data-transfer speed limitations).

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my bad english! :(

baglio

Dabbler
Guys, I really need to increase my storage size.
Can anybody help me please?

Thanks

joshg678

Explorer
I don't really know exactly what you are asking.
But as for the SATAIII backwards compatibility. The Drive 'should' be able to go to lower speeds like II and I.

I say should because every drive will be different.

You will have to reasearch your drive model and see if it has backwards compatibility or not. And if it does, which version will to go back to.

baglio

Dabbler
I don't really know exactly what you are asking.
But as for the SATAIII backwards compatibility. The Drive 'should' be able to go to lower speeds like II and I.

I say should because every drive will be different.

You will have to reasearch your drive model and see if it has backwards compatibility or not. And if it does, which version will to go back to.

Thank you for the SATA info.
Before buy, I'm gonna check if a backwards compatibility exist!

Hope someone will also answer my main question!

Thank you very much! ;)

joshg678

Explorer
Are you looking for a way to copy your data from the old drive to the new one?

It sounds like you are not using a ZFS raid configuration. Add the new drive, mount it, and then use the command line to copy the files over manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.