Remove disk from Mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratman2

Dabbler
Fairly new to Freenas. I have a new server I've built and playing around with Freenas before I get too invested. I have created a volume with 2x 1TB drives and mirrored them. I have seen in the guide under "Splitting a Mirrored Pool" how to "detach a disk or disks in the original ZFS volume in order to create another identical ZFS volume on another system".

At this point I just want to remove one of the hard drives from the system to do something else completely with it. Preserving the duplicate data on the drive is not an issue if need be. Is the method above the best/easiest way to do this, or is there another way?

If this issue is elsewhere in the forum, I would greatly appreciate a link. Thanks

D

dlavigne

Those instructions assume that once you're done, you'll restore the original mirror.

If you want to change the type of redundancy, you need to destroy and recreate the pool.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It should be possible to permanently remove a disk from a mirror, but the GUI can't do it yet. That's going to be a FreeNAS 10 feature.

Exporting the pool via the GUI, CLI-fu-ing it and importing the pool via the GUI should do it.

pratman2

Dabbler
Those instructions assume that once you're done, you'll restore the original mirror.

If you want to change the type of redundancy, you need to destroy and recreate the pool.

Ah. kind of what I was thinking.

pratman2

Dabbler
It should be possible to permanently remove a disk from a mirror, but the GUI can't do it yet. That's going to be a FreeNAS 10 feature.

Exporting the pool via the GUI, CLI-fu-ing it and importing the pool via the GUI should do it.

Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.