Reinstall decrypt storage problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

reks

Dabbler
Hello,
My freenas stuck on upgrade process, after that i decide to do full reinstall (with save config backup). After installation and recovery config from *.db file i cant mount encrypted storage. When i give Passphrase i get error. I check in massagess that it cant find the key in geli folder. I make some time ago backup of recovery.key but dont download geli.key. I make image of the pendrive after reinstallation - is any chance to get key from it? ( i know what is HEX, and etc) but i dont have any knowledge about UFS file system.
To now i think that config backup have backup all important files :/

I used freenas 11.0

Best Regards,
Konrad

rs225

Guru
I recommend you use 11.1U1.

Have you tried the recovery key with and without password?

reks

Dabbler
Yes i tried and nothing(maybe it isn't the newest recovery key). Normally the recovery key is enough to decrypt storage?

reks

Dabbler
Sorry for post after post.
Can anyone say me that i'm right?
Recovery key is to decrypt encrypted normal key?(with passphrase) [we still need geli.key]
Recovery key is like emergency passphrase.
"Save config" in general menu of freenas dont backup decrypt storage key. [geli.key)

i'm right? :(

rs225

Guru
You only need a recovery key (they change on every download, so only the last download works) or the geli.key. Try whatever you have with and without passphrases.

reks

Dabbler
Last question guys.
"Config Backup" always dont have any copy of keys? Always when we have config backup db file with storage configuration is not possible to mount it if passphrase we know?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.