Regarding the new 8GB min space for Ver 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

HimuraMOdo

Cadet
I've installed freenas 2 years ago and kept upgrading the OS through the GUI(Currently @ 9.2.1.8). I have the FreeNAS OS installed on a USB stick(16GB) since day 1 and I remember back then, I manually modify the ISO image to increase the media size to something like 4GB or otherwise the FreeNAS OS won't be able to see the extra space. And this works with every single update till now.

For version 9.3, it says the recommended media size is 8GB which I physically have. But what I'm confused about is I'm not sure if I need to do a fresh image burn into my USB stick or a GUI upgrade will handle the extra available space.

Last edited:

sysfu

Explorer
Try deleting any unused boot environments first. I'm using a 4GB USB stick with the 9.3 release and the last few rounds of updates were failing until I freed up some space by doing so.

Avoid deleting the 'default' boot environment until this thread is answered.

D

dlavigne

The GUI upgrade will assume you want to use the same old boot device. Do a fresh install if you want to specify a new boot device.

Arun Gupta

Dabbler
Try deleting any unused boot environments first. I'm using a 4GB USB stick with the 9.3 release and the last few rounds of updates were failing until I freed up some space by doing so.

Avoid deleting the 'default' boot environment until this thread is answered.

Thanks!! This helped me. I was trying to install and installation kept failing with out of space error. I deleted couple of old boot environments and 9.3 install was successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.