reduce disks from 4 to 2 - best way

kappclark

Explorer
I have a pool of 4 x 2TB disks, and was wondering if there is an easy way to 'rebuild' the truenas box so it is a pool of only 2 disks. Was thinking I wld need to create a new server, create pool of mirrored disks, then restore data ... wondering if this can be done in-place ...

The current setup is a raid 10 array (pool of 2 mirror vdevs) ... would like to reduce this to a pool of 1 mirrored vdev

danb35

Hall of Famer
In TrueNAS 12, yes, it's possible, if the pool is healthy and there's enough space on the remaining disks for the data on the disks to be removed. See:

kappclark

Explorer
Very helpful ... so I did some looking and it seems the pool is over 2T, so I have some housekeeping to do if I want to go through with this ...
so, if I understand the pool screens, I can simply remove the 2 disks of the other mirror leaving a single mirror...

also - you say possible in 12 -- I just did the 13 update ... problem ?

1654363113490.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
also - you say possible in 12 -- I just did the 13 update ... problem ?
I don't think so; the problem would be if you were using 11 or earlier. But I haven't used 13 yet so can't confirm.

And what you'd want to do is remove the entire second mirrored vdev in one go, not one disk at a time.

But yes, you have quite a bit to remove if you want the remaining data to fit comfortably on a pool of 2x 2 TB disks mirrored--it should be no more than about 1.5 TiB. Or consider buying a pair of 4 TB disks, replacing the disks of the pair you're going to keep one by one, then removing the second pair.

kappclark

Explorer
Thinking, once data is reduced down to maybe 1.7T, I can remove the 2nd mirror from the pool ( ada2 and ada3 )... is that all there is to it ??

1654364385707.png

kappclark

Explorer
OK - looking for 4 T disks !

danb35

Hall of Famer
That's all there is to it--but you're pool's going to be very full. Again, I'd shoot for a max of 1.5 TiB. Or put some larger disks into the pool, and then it's all good.