Recycling 4x4GB PC3-10600 ECC unbuffered (from an AMD system)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesceada

Cadet
Hi,
I am looking to build a home NAS system that is rather on the lower cost side, but in the range of a system with ECC.

I might soon have left over an AMD Phenom II system with 16GB(4x4) DDR3 1333MHz ECC memory, in which currently all my main storage is. I wonder what is worth of that to 'recycle' for a NAS-only system. Seems AMD is not the best choice due to limited support from the FreeBSD side? Or what are the reasons? Probably can't get low-enough power in standby/idle?

Sadly, the lowest-cost Intel options, the Atom C2xxx line, is out of question since the recently discovered premature aging problems in their clock network.

Personally I have no specific bias for Intel or AMD usually... I just guess Intel's AES-NI could be useful when using encrypted drives.

Any recommendations? Worth it to recycle anything of this, or not? I guess that also some small boards might only support 2x DIMMs....?

Thanks for any recommendations!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Have you read the hardware recommendations guide? It'll give you a decent idea of what to work with. For instance, the RAM should certainly be useful.

bluesceada

Cadet
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I went through that guide already, but it's not clear why AMD is completely left out of it. (And the Intel Atom Avoton line should probably be removed in the next edition of it)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
but it's not clear why AMD is completely left out of it
All available stuff is ancient, poorly-compatible and increasingly hard to find.
And the Intel Atom Avoton line should probably be removed in the next edition of it
I'm not sure. For the moment, I would avoid buying Avoton. However, with the fixes in the pipeline, new products should be free of the issue. The big question is, when do the fixed units show up on store shelves?

Status
Not open for further replies.