SOLVED recovering old FreeNAS appliance (ver 4?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

junkless

Cadet
I was brought an old FeeNAS appliance that would not boot... The USB boot media appears to be corrupted. So, I setup a new FreeNAS 11 installation. I moved the two drives (RAID1 mirror) over to the new appliance. I can see the drives... one has bad sectors and is listed as unreadable, but the remaining unit shows up and apparently has no errors. I'm including some basic information here... I would appreciate any assistance you guys/gals could offer to help me recover the still functioning portion of this mirror.

In the FreeNAS GUI... I can see both the good and failed disks in "View Disks", the "View Volumes" shows "no entry", and "Import Volume" shows no volumes to import.

Alert System
  • CRITICAL: Nov. 2, 2017, 3:14 p.m. - Device: /dev/ada0, 307 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
  • CRITICAL: Nov. 2, 2017, 3:14 p.m. - Device: /dev/ada0, 5 Offline uncorrectable sectors

The /dev/ada1 device seems to be fine... see below...
[root@freenas ~]# gmirror list
Geom name: plissemirror
State: DEGRADED
Components: 2
Balance: load
Slice: 4096
Flags: NONE
GenID: 1
SyncID: 2
ID: 321927439
Providers:
1. Name: mirror/plissemirror
Mediasize: 1000204885504 (932G)
Sectorsize: 512
Mode: r0w0e0
Consumers:
1. Name: ada1
Mediasize: 1000204886016 (932G)
Sectorsize: 512
Mode: r1w1e1
State: ACTIVE
Priority: 0
Flags: NONE
GenID: 1
SyncID: 2
ID: 2822293219

[root@freenas ~]# zpool status
pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: none requested
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

I'm a little confused about the gmirror vs zfs/zpool stuff that I've been reading in various searches... are these mutually exclusive or what?

Just a little background... I am basically a complete FreeNAS noob and most of my FreeBSD experience is limited to the FreeBSD underlying MacOS (OSX). I am pretty well versed in other linux distros (i.e. CentOS/Redhat & Ubuntu, but have always relied on hardware RAID solutions when using those distros... which again makes me a noob at the various software RAID options offered by any of the linux distros.

Thanks again, in advance, for any help you can provide.

Last edited:

rs225

Guru
The newer FreeNAS versions might be missing the necessary support. This older version is probably using the UFS2 filesystem that is native to FreeBSD, and not ZFS.

You can try mount /dev/mirror/plissemirror /mnt and then look for files in /mnt

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
In the FreeNAS GUI... I can see both the good and failed disks in "View Disks", the "View Volumes" shows "no entry", and "Import Volume" shows no volumes to import.
The problem is that (if this is FreeNAS version 4) it is a whole different operating system than the current release and many features have changed to the point of unrecognizability.
Not an exaggeration either, there was a fork back around version 8 if I recall correctly and the product that was once FreeNAS became "NAS for Free" (I think) and FreeNAS followed a different path.
There is nothing to import because the current operating system doesn't recognize the old format.

junkless

Cadet
The newer FreeNAS versions might be missing the necessary support. This older version is probably using the UFS2 filesystem that is native to FreeBSD, and not ZFS.

You can try mount /dev/mirror/plissemirror /mnt and then look for files in /mnt
I can't believe that it never occurred to me that the mirror/plissemirror was a device... one of those "oh brother do I feel dumb" moments... thanks so much for the nudge in the right direction!

The problem is that (if this is FreeNAS version 4) it is a whole different operating system than the current release and many features have changed to the point of unrecognizability.
Not an exaggeration either, there was a fork back around version 8 if I recall correctly and the product that was once FreeNAS became "NAS for Free" (I think) and FreeNAS followed a different path.
There is nothing to import because the current operating system doesn't recognize the old format.
I suspected this was going to be the case, but I thought there might be some sort of hidden backward compatibility I was just not able to find.

Now that I can mount the degraded mirror I can just create a new seperate volume then copy the old mirror over manually.

Again, Thanks bunches... you guys/gals rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.