Reboot of VM crashes FreeNAS

HugoMcKinley

Cadet
Hi,
I've a serious problem with a Debian(stretch)-VM on my FreeNAS. (11.1-U6)
Every time I restart the VM (doesn't matter if I reboot via ssh in the VM or via FreeNAS-GUI) FreeNAS crashes.
Fan goes up and the machine is unreachable. (HP MicroServer GEN10)
Nothing in the logs, nothing strange before and after the crash. (Neither FreeNAS nor Debian)

Has anybody seen this Problem?

My last idea is to get a monitor to see if something is to see when the server crashes, but if so it should be in the logs

I don't know how to diag this Problem. Any hints?

Hugo

D

dlavigne

8GB RAM is pretty tight for running a VM. Does adding more RAM resolve the issue?

Yorick

Wizard
I'm going to pile onto what @dlavigne said here and just advocate for the biggest RAM ever. Trolling around the forums, I see people stating that with 16GB, running VMs inside FreeNAS is a "miserable experience", end quote and all that. 8GB, I shudder to think. Your microserver can take 32GB max ... if your budget allows it, max it. You'll have a better time all around, whether it's just ARC or running VMs.

rvassar

Guru
8Gb is the minimum for FreeNAS alone. You need to add more RAM per the guidelines for your pool size, plus whatever you intend to dedicate to the VM.

See here:

FreeNAS Documentation - RAM requirements

On Edit: Also... AMD is not as well tested. Just a thought.

HugoMcKinley

Cadet
It was not the RAM and not AMD. It was just a bug resolved in the next release.
Now it is checked if enough RAM is free and if not, the RAM is allocated before the VM ist started again.