Realtek 8111E nic (integrated) turned off after boot Truenas Scale 22.12.0

rikinn55

Cadet
I have looked other threads related to the Realtek 8111E and they seem to always refer to Freenas or core. I am on Truenass scall 22.12.0.
I am new to the software so I'm learning as I go. The nic works during boot-up but once booted the connection lights go out and the Realtek 8111E is not seen by Scale. How could I get this to work? Do I need to install drivers? If so, I don't know how in linux. Also, I have an Intel nic and when I install it Scale sees it, the connection lights are on; when cable plugged in but, I don't pull and IP address.

I had things working before I upgraded the MB and the only issue I seem to be having is the network connection. If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@jgreco, more Z-Ray action here...

I have looked other threads related to the Realtek 8111E and they seem to always refer to Freenas or core. I am on Truenass scall 22.12.0.
I am new to the software so I'm learning as I go. The nic works during boot-up but once booted the connection lights go out and the Realtek 8111E is not seen by Scale. How could I get this to work?
As amply documented (and the answer does not change from what you've read), do not use Realtek.
Also, I have an Intel nic and when I install it Scale sees it, the connection lights are on; when cable plugged in but, I don't pull and IP address.
Well, in that case you probably have one of two problems:
  1. Your DHCP server isn't working correctly
  2. Your server is not configured to request an DHCP lease.
The solution for both is to set up a static IP address on your server, which is what you should do anyway. If that doesn't work, you probably have a damaged Ethernet cable.
I had things working before I upgraded the MB
You upgraded to something with a Realtek NIC?

rikinn55

Cadet
Well I already had the MB. It was newer than the one I started with and more than twice as fast. Also didn't know about the Realtor issue before I started .

My duck is working fine on the network and the cable is good. Guess I'll play some more with Intel nix and see what I can get to happen if anything.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
My duck is working fine on the network
Yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out what you meant to type there.
My duck is working fine on the network and the cable is good. Guess I'll play some more with Intel nix and see what I can get to happen if anything.
Well, something has to give. Either the server is misconfigured or something is broken.

rikinn55

Cadet
Good news is I have it working.
1 Disabled onboard Realteck NICs
2 Installed the Intel dual nic
- System then kept rebooting itself.
3 Started removing cards
a. The two additional video cards - wanted to use the GPUs
- Still was rebooting itself
b. Moved the Intel dual nic to another PCI slot
- System would boot
Had some other troubles unrelated to the network issue but fixed those too.
Now system boots into Scale and I get an address.

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes I get frustrated it helps just to get a little feedback to reboot my train of thought.