Realtek 8111 vs Intel EXPI9400PTBLK Networking

ratchet

Cadet
Hi,

I'm putting together parts for a TrueNAS Core build.

The motherboard is a M5A78L-M/USB3 which had a Realtek 8111E/F LAN Controller.

According to the documentation, this is supported by TrueNAS, but my understanding is that this doesn't have its own processor, so networking performance might suffer at high CPU load. Is this correct?

In this case, would a dedicated NIC such as and Intel EXPI9400PTBLK Pro/1000 NIC be a suitable upgrade? I assume this has its own processor? (one of these cards is available on eBay at the moment for £20).

Otherwise, what else would you recommend?

Thanks, Matt

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The good answer is to just get a better motherboard in the first place. Less hassle. The RTL8111 family is a giant dumpster fire that's been somewhat-successfully contained. Emphasis on the somewhat.
but my understanding is that this doesn't have its own processor, so networking performance might suffer at high CPU load. Is this correct?
The details aren't quite right, but yes, performance suffers due to cost-cutting. Worse, things tend to not work properly, especially if you try anything slightly complex.

ratchet

Cadet
I probably will get a better motherboard in the future, but I just want to use what I've got for now.

I'm not sure I will be doing anything complex with the networking - it will just be hosting our dvd/blu-ray collection as a plex server on a simple home network.

do you think the RTL8111 will be up to the task?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The Realteks are an endless source of trouble, so I will definitely not say that they'll be fine, regardless of the scenario.

ratchet

Cadet
intel NIC from ebay:

IMG_8367.png