rc.conf/rc.local not running on jail startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I'm using a FreeBSD/standard jail. I edited rc.conf to read
sshd_enable="YES"
However, ssh still doesn't start. I also have other commands I wanted run so that Domoticz home automation would work and have access to a certain USB device. These were added to both rc.conf and later rc.local in attempts to get them to work. They still dont' run at jail startup. I can run them manually and everything works afterwards. The permissions for the rc.local and rc.conf are 755.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hello
I'm using a FreeBSD/standard jail. I edited rc.conf to read
sshd_enable="YES"
However, ssh still doesn't start. I also have other commands I wanted run so that Domoticz home automation would work and have access to a certain USB device. These were added to both rc.conf and later rc.local in attempts to get them to work. They still dont' run at jail startup. I can run them manually and everything works afterwards. The permissions for the rc.local and rc.conf are 755.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
There is more than one rc.conf.

Do this instead, this is the big boy way:

Code:
sysrc sshd_enable=yes

There is more than one rc.conf.

Do this instead, this is the big boy way:

Code:
sysrc sshd_enable=yes
Thanks for the response. To be honest I hadn't tried any other methods to autostart the service. I assumed since I followed the FreeNAS User Guide and failed that I must have messed up my jail install. From your suggestion I did some more digging.

Prior to making any changes running:
'sysrc sshd_enable'
returned
'sshd_enable: YES'

I then ran the above command
'sysrc sshd_enable=yes'
then
'sysrc sshd_enable'
which returned
'sshd_enable: yes'

I then restarted the jail and ssh is still not running

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
ok, then type this, and tell me what, if anything it says:
Code:
service sshd start

Right now it says this
'sshd already running? (pid=480).'

Likely because I started it manually by running
' ***@***: /etc/rc.d # ./sshd start'

If I restart the jail I get:
'Performing sanity check on sshd configuration.
Starting sshd.'

And it works

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
You're saying your ssh login now is working?

The default out-of-box configuration in /etc/ssh/sshd_config is generally not what people want. You might want to "permitrootlogin" and also "passwordauthentication".

if you change the config, make sure you
Code:
service sshd restart

You're saying your ssh login now is working?

The default out-of-box configuration in /etc/ssh/sshd_config is generally not what people want. You might want to "permitrootlogin" and also "passwordauthentication".

if you change the config, make sure you
Code:
service sshd restart

My login always works once I manually start the ssh service. I tried the changes mentioned above without any improvement. My issue is getting the ssh service to start any time the jail is restarted.

Edit:
I have another standard FreeBSD jail where it does start automatically using the instructions from the User Guide. The only thing I have done in the jail where ssh doesn't work is to install Domoticz using the instructions from here:
https://www.domoticz.com/wiki/FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.