Random folder deletion on TrueNAS 12.0 from time to time without user interaction

jeho

Cadet
Dear community,

I've set up a little TrueNAS for work purposes about two years ago. In it's current state it's a TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1 on an AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor with 32GB RAM. I configured several datasets and snapshots. At the beginning everything was working fine. Me and my colleagues are working with the NAS via an smb share on MacOS devices on a daily basis. In the past year or so, we encountered some weird behaviour that repeats itself every 4-5 months. All of a sudden over night 1/4 to 1/3 of all folders of a dataset is deleted. Luckily enough, we always find out the next day and can restore the data from the snapshot of the last day, but I'd really like to find the root cause of this problem.

I checked every deletion with diffs of the previous snapshot and the current state and compared them to eachother and can say that every folder that was once deleted will probably be deleted again. But other than that, I cannot see a pattern, because every now and then new folders are being added to the list.

Does anyone have any experience with such a behaviour or can teach me how to 1) properly investigate the problem or 2) setup the share or pools to prevent such behaviour in the future?

Thanks in advance!
J.