RAM usage in Beta ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwck

Patron
Anyone noticed increased Ram usage in the recent beta?

I mean, the amount of ram i have is probably not enough for the amout of HD space, however i was at about 70% before and now i am at 97%

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Empty RAM is wasted RAM. If most of your RAM is being used for ARC, there's nothing to worry about.

Zwck

Patron
Sure but why is freenas sending me an email every 2 minutes that it's critical

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, that's a problem. Can you show us the reporting page?

Zwck

Patron
reportingleg.PNG
reportingnew.PNG

Zwck

Patron
i orderd some more ram because why not :D

appoli

Dabbler
Do you have any VMs (in particular VMs running different OS like the docker build)?
With the previous versions we have seen a lot of swap useage when you have VMs, but it usually went along with a growing inactive bucket and small/empty laundry bucket.

Seems as though your inactive is tiny and you actually have a nice chunk in your laundry bucket so maybe it’s a different issue/they started to address the previous issues (we had to implement a number of tunables and even then the inactive bucket would only purge once).
I’m curious to know - if they got the pagedaemon to work correctly i would Deffo upgrade to 11.2
Thanks!

Zwck

Patron
Do you have any VMs (in particular VMs running different OS like the docker build)?
With the previous versions we have seen a lot of swap useage when you have VMs, but it usually went along with a growing inactive bucket and small/empty laundry bucket.

Seems as though your inactive is tiny and you actually have a nice chunk in your laundry bucket so maybe it’s a different issue/they started to address the previous issues (we had to implement a number of tunables and even then the inactive bucket would only purge once).
I’m curious to know - if they got the pagedaemon to work correctly i would Deffo upgrade to 11.2
Thanks!

actually, i have no vm running just one plugin that i deleted and created with the new GUI, it is basically just freenas, however when i update to the beta i ran into a couple of problems and had to roll back and delete the beta and redownload/apply it in order for me to boot properly, maybe its time to reinstall freenas from scratch. As i have the system now for quite sometime.

Pistolwhip

Dabbler
Are you using netdata? If so I found that in the beta netdata email alerts are now configured, but the alarm thresholds are not tuned, so it tends to spam alerts. I was getting ones for RAM, as well as packet storm during heavy transfers, and disk activity during scrubs. Hundreds of them. That might be what you're seeing.

Zwck

Patron
Are you using netdata? If so I found that in the beta netdata email alerts are now configured, but the alarm thresholds are not tuned, so it tends to spam alerts. I was getting ones for RAM, as well as packet storm during heavy transfers, and disk activity during scrubs. Hundreds of them. That might be what you're seeing.

yeah, thats exactly what i am seeing. Thanks for the hint, good thing i ordered another 16Gb ecc ram :D well, a little bit money out the window, but i am probably preaching to the quire/choir here. :D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Has a bug report been filed for this yet?

appoli

Dabbler
@Zwck to confirm, do you think the alerts you are getting are from netdata?
I had tried configuring some netdata alerts before and they didn’t work - I figured I was doing something wrong, but if they have fixed that in 11.2 that’s just another reason to be excited about it

Zwck

Patron
Quite sure
Screenshot_20180721-220122.jpg

Also these still pop-up despite +16gb ram

appoli

Dabbler
Quite sure
View attachment 24858

Also these still pop-up despite +16gb ram

Thanks! This is great news. Now just need to make sure VMs will work after doing an update.
If I have to do a fresh install I’d rather upgrade the storage array in the process (for some reason my Emby, NextCloud, and Postgre VMs are writing a lot of data to the attached/shared datasets, but I can’t actually see what they are writing & only a specific command/the storage GUI is able to recognize that there is data written to the datasets).

Zwck

Patron

diskdiddler

Wizard

par

Explorer
I was getting spammed out the absolute arse in BETA2 and had to disable Netdata service.

appoli

Dabbler
@diskdiddler @par Based on the info that has been provided the issue is the rules that are currently enabled for Netdata. Review what notifications you are getting and edit the corresponding rules based on that info/your preferences.

I tried playing with notifications in FreeNAS 11.1 and I wasn't getting any alerts (nor was I getting anything from the pre-configured notifications) so it's a good chance that the notification system for Netdata has been enabled in 11.2 as others have mentioned.

If you need info on how to edit the notification rules it can be found pretty easily online. The FreeNAS guide should have a starting point - you need to bring up the console/ssh in, navigate to the settings file & edit it using the text editor; fairly simple (although some rules can get pretty complex since you can't see the changes in real time/there may be a little guessing regarding what inputs are available).

par

Explorer
@diskdiddler @par Based on the info that has been provided the issue is the rules that are currently enabled for Netdata. Review what notifications you are getting and edit the corresponding rules based on that info/your preferences.

I tried playing with notifications in FreeNAS 11.1 and I wasn't getting any alerts (nor was I getting anything from the pre-configured notifications) so it's a good chance that the notification system for Netdata has been enabled in 11.2 as others have mentioned.

If you need info on how to edit the notification rules it can be found pretty easily online. The FreeNAS guide should have a starting point - you need to bring up the console/ssh in, navigate to the settings file & edit it using the text editor; fairly simple (although some rules can get pretty complex since you can't see the changes in real time/there may be a little guessing regarding what inputs are available).

If the default is to be spammed with 500+ emails during a scrub, then better off to leave Netdata service disabled IMO.

diskdiddler

Wizard
I must admit I haven't done a scrub since 11.2 B2, maybe htat will really crank up the emails.
I don't mind a low ram notification during a scrub, if there's maybe 1 email per 12 hours or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.