Raidz1 to Raidz2

Status
Not open for further replies.

svargas

Cadet
I have to servers running 8.2 a production and backup server. The production box has a lot datasets with different permissions set and rsync tasks to replicate to the backup server, so data is safe and easy to copy back. I know I must delete the current VOL1 and create a new one to switch to raidz2. Is there away to put back the datasets and rsync tasks without recreating. If I rename the new volume the old one and reload the config would that put the datasets and rsync tasks in place?

Thanks for any help.....

Sir.Robin

Guru
The rsync tasks yes, but not the datasets.

If you have that many that its a lot of work, you could set up a temporary freenas and use zfs replication forth and back again.

That would recreate all your datasets if you replicate the entire volume.

Correct me if i'm wrong :)

Sir.Robin

Guru
So are you saying, that deleting the volume will not delete tasks.....

Yes. The tasks are part of your config. So if you delete a volume, system settings, zfs replication and rsync tasks, and even defined shares will persist. Although cifs service should be disabled before deleting volumes or datasets that are shared.

svargas

Cadet
Thanks for your reply. What about just adding another drive as a hot spare if that is an option in 8.2 which would provide two drives for failure.....

Sir.Robin

Guru
Raidz1 with hotspare will not protect you as good as raidz2 does.
Reason is because a failure with raidz1 will cripple your raid. If a second drive fails before or during rebuild, you have a lost array.
Not so with raidz2. You're still protected after first failure and will still be protected under rebuild.

Personally i would much rather have raidz2 than raidz1. To me it would be worth the hassle to set it up again.

Also, i'm not sure you can add a hotspare after the zpool is created?

I would set up another nas or another array. Replicate to the temp system/array. Rebuild original. Replicate back. That was simplified steps... you would need some configuring aswell and some downtime ;)

svargas

Cadet
Thanks for your response again, you made good points that I did not think about. I don't have another server and drives to build another NAS. The reason I used raidz1 because I replicate to another server. I've had a couple drives go bad lately (old drives) replacing with new drives, as I hold my breath as it rebuilds.

Sir.Robin

Guru
You're welcome! Holding my breath is something i trie to avoid ;)

Also, ZFS checks on each read that the checksum vs the read data is intact. Othervise it knows a disk has problems.
This will secure your data. ZFS will repair files corrupted by a half-bad disk/bad sector as long as it has enogugh parity to calculate against.

This will not be true if you're running raidz1 and already has a failed drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.