• Currently using VMware at work? We want to hear from you.

Thinking of making a switch from VMware? We'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback about which hypervisor you have been researching or already using. Click here to vote and share your thoughts! You can vote HERE!

RAIDZ setup single manufacturer drives or mix of various manufacturers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tekkie

Patron
If building a RAIDZ setup with 6 drives is it better to have all drives from a single vendor or a mix of vendors?

Although I've run 2 Buffalo TeraStations with (4*500GB) WD in one and Seagate in the other for donkey's years without incidents, I am currently leaning towards having drives from at least 3 vendors (Seagate, WD & Samsung) to minimize any single batch/vendor issues affecting the storage system.

What do you say?

torrin

I think generally, mixing manufacturers is a good idea (as long as they are the same speed/cache/sector size). I have experienced multiple drives from the same vendor (purchased at the same time) failing within a few days of each other. I would also suggest RAIDZ2 with 6 drives.

Tekkie

Patron
Current drives list is:
2 x Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB 32MB 5400RPM
2 x Western Digital Caviar 2TB SATAII 64MB 5400RPM (WD20EARS)
2x Seagate 2TB 64MB 5900RPM Barracuda Green (ST2000DL003) <<== Just a little worried about these babies...

esamett

Patron
I spread out my purchases over about two months. I stuck with hitachi so I wouldn't have to worry about the 4k sector size issue until FreeNAS 8 caught up with the issue. I don't know which other drives are native 512b sector size.

Status
Not open for further replies.