RAIDZ-2 | Possible to create pool with 2x8TB and 4x6TB drives?

Wong_558

Cadet
I've got a fixed budget for my build, which is limiting my options, and was wondering if the following was possible... I have 2 8TB drives available to me from a friend, free of charge. Am I able to use these in conjunction with 4 6TB drives I will be purchasing to create a 6 drive pool in RAIDZ-2?

I understand that if this is possible it will almost certainly mean the pool will treat the 8TB drives as if they were 6TB resulting in ~17TB usable storage, but I'm just wanting to make sure that this is or isn't possible.

For those wondering, yes I've done the math extensively and been closely watching prices, this is unfortunately my best option in my very limited area and within my budget.

Wong_558

Cadet
Typo'd the 'usable storage' bit above, and I'm unsure how to edit my previous post so apologies for the double post, I had meant ~19TB usable storage.

Etorix

Wizard
I understand that if this is possible it will almost certainly mean the pool will treat the 8TB drives as if they were 6TB resulting in ~17TB usable storage, but I'm just wanting to make sure that this is or isn't possible.
It is possible, and will work as you correctly expect: 6 TB per drive will be used.
If you can later replace the four smaller drives by 8 TB drives (or bigger), the pool will grow to 6*8 TB upon replacing the last drive.

Wong_558

Cadet
It is possible, and will work as you correctly expect: 6 TB per drive will be used.
If you can later replace the four smaller drives by 8 TB drives (or bigger), the pool will grow to 6*8 TB upon replacing the last drive.
Perfect, thank you for the confirmation!