RAID ZFS ISCSI drive slow and crashing while formatting in Windows and MAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abel408

Dabbler
This is driving me nuts! I've been trying to figure this out far too long than I care to admit. Any help is greatly appreciated so I can remain sane. Here are my system details:

Controller: HighPoint RocketRaid 3540
System: CPU Q8400, 4gb of ram
Hard Drives: 8 2tb WD (All same firmware) / 3 1tb WD (All same firmware)
Network: 1gbit switch

I've tried a hardware RAID and a software RAID. Both have the same outcome. I can see all the disks in FreeNAS. I can create volumes and iscsi targets without any problems. I can connect to these iscsi targets using initiators without any problem.

When I go to format the drive, disk management in windows will come up with an error an hour later and disk utility in Mac with crash or come up with an error. Sometimes, after a few hours, the format will go through without any errors. When I try to transfer a 2gb file, it tells me it will take 20 hours, but the iscsi target will actually disconnect itself after a few hours.

What makes this issue even weirder is that I have absolutely no problems with my 3 1tb drives. I have them in a raidz right now and they work great. I also have no problems if I create an iscsi target using only 1 disk. I've tried creating an iscsi target using 2 disks in mirror and that doesn't seem to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.