Raid 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMikken

Cadet
Hello people!

I have a question about implementing Raid 10 in FreeNAS. It says the following on the wiki:

Once a vdev is created, you can not add more drives to that vdev; however, you can stripe a new vdev (and its disks) with the same type of existing vdev in order to increase the overall size of the ZFS pool. In other words, when you extend a ZFS volume, you are really striping similar vdevs. Here are some examples:

• to extend a ZFS mirror, add the same number of drives. The resulting striped mirror is a RAID 10. For example, if you have 10 drives, you could start by creating a mirror of two drives, extending this mirror by creating another mirror of two drives, and repeating three more times until all 10 drives have been added.

Does this mean that if I create a mirror volume of 2 drives and extend it with a second mirror volume with two drives, it effectively becomes a Raid 10?

DrMikken

Cadet
Yes. The 9.1.1 volume manager even allows you to create this in one click. This slide deck explains everything in detail: http://forums.freenas.org/threads/slideshow-explaining-vdev-zpool-zil-and-l2arc-for-noobs.7775/

You mean in this window?
Volume1h.png

So, if I create a mirror of two drives like in the picture instead of three, click on Add Extra Device and add the other two drives as a mirror, it will become a raid 10 as well?

I'm just asking to be 100% sure :)

Dusan

Guru
You can also drag the "circle thingy" ;) down to create a new row. However, the easiest way is to start with an empty volume layout (the state it is in when you open the window) and click the plus button in the available disks section. In your case it will setup a stripe of mirrors.
This is the final effect:
mirror.png

gpsguy

BlazeStar, please don't cross-post. We answered you in the other thread. In that thread you asked how to achieve the ZFS equivalent of RAID 10 and we told you how. I mentioned this thread so you could see the picture on how to do it.

Sent from my phone

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Blazestar, you realize you've started 9 threads in less than 3 weeks. Either start searching for answers or expect to get warnings/banned. You haven't asked a single question that hasn't been asked at least 50 times before.

Status
Not open for further replies.