BUILD Rack Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RemyZ

Contributor
I am moving soon and need to redo my rack setup. I currently have a 24U Skeletek open Rack that I need to downsize from. I am looking for a 12U Rack enclosure that I can use which will meet requirements. I would like to stuff this in a closet or my bedroom out of sight. My research up until now hasnt helped

It will be housing
4RU Chenbro RM41300-F (HTPC/NAS Server )Dimensions (H x W x D) 21.5" x 16.9" x 6.9"
3x 1RU 3750 Cisco Switches
1x 1RU 3650 Cisco Switches
1x 1RU or 2RU ESXI Server Lab (Haven't bought the case yet )
1x 1RU APC Managed PDU
1x 1RU Serial Console Switch

Questions
Should I go bigger than 12RU since that is pushing the max ?
What glass enclosures with caster wheel options do I have to choose from ?
Will the Chenbro case be a problem since its the biggest of all devices ?
Are there any decent combo Managed PDU and Serial Console Switches around ?
Any good 1RU or 2RU rack mounted cases that can house a full ATX motherboard ?

Any and all help is most appreciated thanx

tvsjr

Guru
Putting that in a roll-around case is going to present one major issue... heat. You've got probably 2,000BTU/hr. here easily... getting that heat out and getting cold air in will be critical.

RemyZ

Contributor
I can look into adding Rack fans, Semi fan PSU's and mesh front ventilation but need a starting point. Any suggestions ??

Fuganater

Patron
I think your current rack size is good. You have plenty of airflow. With 12U of gear and only 12U to put it, the gear in the middle is going to COOK, especially in a closet. I would look to get a 22U enclosed rack with some top fans for ventilation.

For the ESXi server. I recently picked up 2x R710's on Ebay for less than $300 each but it is like 29" long so that may be a no go for you.

RemyZ

Contributor
better than having it in the living room. My current rack is in the living room and really is an eyesore. If this 15u rack is small enough i can play around with positioning with either living room underneath computer table, closet,or the bedroom all depends really

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

RemyZ

Contributor
I will most likely be going with Kendall Howard SoHO Server rack 12u which will meet my needs

RemyZ

Contributor
I was able to get the help i need from serve the home forums.Those guys are awesome

Fuganater

Patron
I was able to get the help i need from serve the home forums.Those guys are awesome

AKA we suck ass here?

RemyZ

Contributor
AKA we suck ass here?

lol Those guys were able to point me in the right direction. You guys don't suck but needed suggestions from another perspective. I have received great advice here as well.

chrisada

Explorer
I will most likely be going with Kendall Howard SoHO Server rack 12u which will meet my needs

My, that's quite expensive. Wouldn't something like a Tripp Lite SR12UB work equally well?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RemyZ

Contributor
The KH is deep enough along with the Tripplite. This Tripplite is just as capable and will definitely look into. Found the KH at a good price on Ebay but the seller upped the price so may be going for the tripplite. It's listed on the website as a Server Rack with extended depth of 33" which prolly means 28" internal depth. Either way I am fine since my server is 23-24"max.

Here is the website link for the tripplite
http://www.tripplite.com/server-rack-enclosure-cabinet-extra-depth-12u~SR12UB/

Here is Kendall Howard Link
http://www.kendallhoward.com/12U-Compact-Series-SOHO-Server-Rack.html

Both can be had for around the same price when you factor in shipping etc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.