Quick SLOG question I need some help with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a couple datasets so that I can easily snapshot data as well as track how much is used in a particular area. One of the bad things about that is that when I am transferring data between datasets it is very slow since it is reading and also writing to the same pool. Is this a situation where a SLOG can help? Now that I have a case that will support 48 drives I will have more than enough room to toss in a couple SAS SSD. Often times I am transferring 2 to 4 GB files and sometimes do this in batches of up to 50GB at a time but since it is a Read/Write operation it runs really slow unless that data is already in ARC. Otherwise I will just look at getting a couple small drives and setting up a small pool with them and use that for the storage point and transfer pool to pool.

m0nkey_

MVP
No, a SLOG will not help in this case. A SLOG is only useful for synchronous writes. Copying files from one dataset to another uses asynchronous writes.

Arwen

MVP
Depending on your use case, you might create a Mirror pool of SSD(s) that you can use a temporary storage. Meaning a script that does something like this;

mv $SOURCE SSD_DATASET/
mv SSD_DATASET/* $DESTINATION

This eliminates the reading while writing on the same disks.
Careful scripting can make it look transparent. You simply give the command just like a regular "mv" and it does the work;

mv_ssd FILE1 FILE2 {FILE3 ...} DEST

And if you are really careful on the scripting, you can safely use a single SSD, (meaning not mirrored). You simply don't erase the source files until safely back in the protected pool.

Nahh it's all good, just wanted to check and see. I can easily get a bunch of cheap small drives and use them in a pool as once I am done with it there and transfer it over I can clear it off. The data isn't really important I just want a faster way to make the transfer but since it is often written to I don't want to just use an SSD to throw away. Before with a smaller case it was not as much of an option, now I have 41 bays sitting empty that are just begging to be put to use.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I was trying to decide how to use mine also.
LOL, I noticed you and someone else pulling EVERY drive available to drop in and fill it up.

For the data I have stored in the other dataset I have about 1TB right now and I will be shuffling a lot of it around soon and clearing it out. Will probably just pick up some 1TB drives and throw them into a RaidZ1 to hold what I have, or maybe get a bunch of little refurbs and use them instead. As long as I have about 2TB of storage I will be fine there. If I didn't do some renaming and dropping into multiple datasets having a script make the transfer would be fine. I did that at one point in time where it would just transfer from a folder and move across but now I have multiple folders in a dataset and that will not work as well.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
LOL, I noticed you and someone else pulling EVERY drive available to drop in and fill it up.
No. I am not trying to fill mine. I still only have the original 16 drives I transplanted from the old chassis. I am scheming about how best to implement the pool I want to create for iSCSI. I have a random assortment of leftover drives in the 500GB and 1TB size and I even have half a dozen 2TB drives lying about doing nothing, but I have not decided how I want to configure it yet.

I have a couple 250's I pulled from my desktop that are still working ok honestly they will probably outlast the drives in my FreeNAS and they have been ran for a long time now, but I would need to buy some more to make that work and probably do so at the same cost as some new 1TB drives. Now it's just deciding what exactly I want to do to achieve what I need. Probably end up just grabbing some WD blues and throw them into a RaidZ1 to hold the temp data before I transfer it to my main pool. Be a performance increase for the main pool and transfer speed anyway. If I could find a dozen or so smaller drives for dirt cheap I would just throw them together in a larger pool and keep a hot spare or two. It will probably take me a long time to fill the case and by the point where I am almost able to fill it I will be replacing old drives with something larger anyway.

Just tired of the transfers taking a long time since they are on the same pool to a separate dataset and want to figure a way to make it happen a little faster as right now it is tedious to say the least.

Stux

MVP
More vdevs and more IOPS :)

Yeah I know I could do a second vDev for what I already have but that costs money and I am already thinking about going to a 12 drive vDev and replacing the 7 I have now. But it will take some time before that is able to be done, I am dreading to see the bill from when the wife was in the ICU for a couple days and then a regular room for a week not to mention two trips into the ER and two ambulance rides with 30 miles of transport each time one way..... When those bills come in I may have a kidney and a piece of liver along with a lung for sale.

Right now I will be happy to just offload the stuff onto a second small pool and go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.