Quick question about ECC capability on my motherboard + CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

elie

Cadet
Hi, I was planning for a while now to build a FreeNAS (mainly to use as a plex server) when I do a full computer upgrade.
I was reading through my motherboard's (ASUS M4A87TD) user's manual to see that use of ECC RAM seems to be supported.
Qpc9KcS.jpg

gx7JQk3.jpg

However, the CPU I am running is a AMD Phenom II X4 965 (AM3). I have not been able to find out if that CPU in particular supports ECC but I have read that most AM3+ CPU's "support" ECC.
So I would like to know if this motherboard and CPU in particular can utilise ECC's benefits.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi, I was planning for a while now to build a freeNAS (mainly to use as a plex server) when I do a full computer upgrade.
I was reading through my motherboard's (ASUS M4A87TD) user's manual to see that use of ECC RAM seems to be supported.
Qpc9KcS.jpg

gx7JQk3.jpg

However, the CPU I am running is a AMD Phenom II X4 965 (AM3). I have not been able to find out if that CPU in particular supports ECC but I have read that most AM3+ CPU's "support" ECC.
So I would like to know if this motherboard and CPU in particular can utilise ECC's benefits.
Thanks.
Hmmm... Yes, AMD is pretty cagey about whether or not that CPU supports ECC. Just for grins, I checked Crucial's website for your motherboard and they do indeed list some ECC RAM for it. So, while I wouldn't stake my life on it, there's a chance that CPU/motherboard combo supports ECC.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

elie

Cadet
Hmmm... Yes, AMD is pretty cagey about whether or not that CPU supports ECC. Just for grins, I checked Crucial's website for your motherboard and they do indeed list some ECC RAM for it. So, while I wouldn't stake my life on it, there's a chance that CPU/motherboard combo supports ECC.
update: I checked my MOBO's BIOS and looked online. By the looks of it, every AM3/AM3+ CPU supports ECC and every ASUS mobo for the chipset support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.