question on HBA, just to be sure

nicko3.0i

Dabbler
Hi again!
I got myself an HBA on ebay from china, less than 50€ for the item, new and sealed, including two cables SFFsomething -> 4 SATA/SAS
I tried to follow all good practices and advices I read here, but I'd like to be sure to be ready to go.
First of all, I tried to connect a spare disk and boot freenas, the disk is recognized and displayed.

All the info I could get from the damn thing are:
AVAGO - LSI
SAS 9207-8i - SAS 2308-2
Bios V 7.39.02.00 (2015.08.03)
FW: 20.00.07.00-IT

As far as I can understand, being IT should be fine with freeNas (actually TrueNas now), can I get away with this without flashing, crossflashing ecc?
Thank you all again!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I got myself an HBA on ebay from china, less than 50€
Are you sure it's not a fake factory reject that fell off the back of a truck in the shadiest alley of Shenzhen?

FW: 20.00.07.00-IT
Firmware is fine, but the BIOS sounds old (haven't checked). Probably a good idea to flash the latest BIOS and UEFI option ROMs.

nicko3.0i

Dabbler
Are you sure it's not a fake factory reject that fell off the back of a truck in the shadiest alley of Shenzhen?

Mmhh actually not, but as long as it works, you know.... :-D

Firmware is fine, but the BIOS sounds old (haven't checked). Probably a good idea to flash the latest BIOS and UEFI option ROMs.

Ok, I'm gonna check if there's something newer to be flashed
thank you for support!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is there a way to be sure of that?
thank you for support!
Just be aware that you normally would not be booting from the SAS controller. It can be done, if everything is configured perfectly, for exampel, if the system BIOS even supports it and if there is a boot ROM in the SAS controller.
My SAS controller has no boot ROM and can not be used to boot the system.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is there a way to be sure of that?
There tend to be clues, like missing LSI logos. I think LSI support can also check serial numbers, for what it's worth.