Question about winmsa

Status
Not open for further replies.

f4242

Explorer
Hello,

Not sure if this is a bug or if this is the intended functionality...

On my SMB share, I use the winmsa vfs. I set that in order to force moved files to herite permissions from their parent's ACL. This work fine.

On the same SMB share, I need to disable ACL heritage on one directory. It works fine when doing test locally in command line (so ACL permissions are good), but when my smb client is creating (NOT moving) a directory, the ACL is automatically heriting from the parent directory. If I remove the winmsa vfs on my share, I can create a directory with a smb client without heriting ACL from the parent.

I wonder if winmsa should apply the heritage only when moving files, not when creating them. I don't have Windows server to test if their MoveSecurityAttributes implementation does the same thing or not.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hello,

Not sure if this is a bug or if this is the intended functionality...

On my SMB share, I use the winmsa vfs. I set that in order to force moved files to herite permissions from their parent's ACL. This work fine.

On the same SMB share, I need to disable ACL heritage on one directory. It works fine when doing test locally in command line (so ACL permissions are good), but when my smb client is creating (NOT moving) a directory, the ACL is automatically heriting from the parent directory. If I remove the winmsa vfs on my share, I can create a directory with a smb client without heriting ACL from the parent.

I wonder if winmsa should apply the heritage only when moving files, not when creating them. I don't have Windows server to test if their MoveSecurityAttributes implementation does the same thing or not.

If you're on FreeNAS 11.1-U1 or later, try setting the following auxiliary parameter on your share and see if it gives closer to expected behavior:
zfsacl:map_dacl_protected=true

f4242

Explorer
Hello,

I'm using 11.1-U1, but this line doesn't seem to change anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.