PSA: Fix pkg after upgrading an iocage jail to 12.1

jasonsansone

Explorer
What is some time? Hours, days? I can confirm the system isn't hanging up, but it seems awfully long...

Depends on your NAS processing power. If you have a Xeon D, I would guess a few years. I have 2x E5-2697 v2's and it can take a couple hours.

nic_greene

Dabbler
Depends on your NAS processing power. If you have a Xeon D, I would guess a few years. I have 2x E5-2697 v2's and it can take a couple hours.
Ok, that's funny! Thanks. But for some reason it gets as far as listing out the hundreds of packages that will be dropped when the upgrade is done and then seems to hang up, I left it running overnight and although nothing seemed to hang it didnt do the upgrade. I feel like I must be doing something really obvious like not turning the box on, just cant figure out what.

jasonsansone

Explorer
Ok, that's funny! Thanks. But for some reason it gets as far as listing out the hundreds of packages that will be dropped when the upgrade is done and then seems to hang up, I left it running overnight and although nothing seemed to hang it didnt do the upgrade. I feel like I must be doing something really obvious like not turning the box on, just cant figure out what.

Check any IPS/IDS and firewall. I have had situations previously where Snort or Surricata blocked FreeNAS pkg update files due the multiple HTTPS streams and fragmentation. Not saying that is the situation, but can't hurt to confirm.

nic_greene

Dabbler
Check any IPS/IDS and firewall. I have had situations previously where Snort or Surricata blocked FreeNAS pkg update files due the multiple HTTPS streams and fragmentation. Not saying that is the situation, but can't hurt to confirm.
Clever yes I have PfBlocker, I'll try that.... The iocage I'm trying to upgrade is my reverse proxy, and my FreeNAS box is upgrading just fine on Truenas 12.1

jasonsansone

Explorer
I would whitelist the IP for your NAS to permit all traffic through pfSense. Doesnt need to be permanent, but while you are troubleshooting you can rule out the firewall.

shiphtfour

Dabbler
I just switched trains to 12.1
I am running into a situation where
Code:
iocage upgrade -r 12.1-RELEASE jailname
appears to hang up after listing
"The following files will be removed as part of updating to 12.1-RELEASE-p7:" there's a long list and then (END) and it appears to hang up there.
Is this the newbiest newbie question ever?
I am experiencing the same issue. Under system processes I see 1 running, 64 sleeping and my CPU hovers around 99% idle (Xeon D-1521). Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

MysticCobra

Cadet
I just switched trains to 12.1
I am running into a situation where
Code:
iocage upgrade -r 12.1-RELEASE jailname
appears to hang up after listing
"The following files will be removed as part of updating to 12.1-RELEASE-p7:" there's a long list and then (END) and it appears to hang up there.
Apologies for replying to an old thread, but in case anyone else with this same situation stumbles across this thread, try pressing "q" if it appears to hang after this list of files. My (n00b) understanding is that the process is doing something like writing a txt file to the screen, and it requires acknowledgement / closure of the output before proceeding.

There may be multiple instances of such file listings, each requiring a "q" to proceed.